Husk24

Growing Coriander in Raised Bed - How Deep Should Bedding Be

Hi All

I have tried growing Coriander this year after being very successful last year, unfortunately the chickweed seem to have taken over and I have decided to cover the soil with weed membrane and build a raised bedding over it and put new soil/compost and grow Coriander in the raised bedding.

My question is how deep does the raised bedding need to be? I want to keep it as shallow as possible. Would 5-7 inches deep be enough?

Thanks

imafan26
Mod

5-7 inches should be plenty. They will even grow in pots. I don't grow cilantro or coriander in summer because it bolts in the heat.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

They have roots like little carrots.

Think about harvesting those that are younger but have a little larger root, at the cilantro stage :).

They add a nice flavor to soup.

Steve

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Many years ago, a lot of Thai recipes would call for cilantro root in curry pastes and soups, as the flavor would survive cooking better than chopped cilantro leaves. Back in the 80s and 90s, almost all of the clumps of cilantro I would find in Asian markets would have the roots attached, and they were 1 1/2-2" long. Through the years, the roots got smaller and smaller, while the plants were larger. It seems that while breeding these plants for slow bolting and larger leaves, the roots have gotten smaller.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

This is perhaps a little late for most of us, but ...

In the spring, the overwintered cilantro has nice roots.

It may be that the only plants that survive the winter are the ones with larger roots. I'm not sure if I should recommend it but I allow cilantro to volunteer, most everywhere. Dill, too! Hmmm, I wonder what I could do with dill roots ...

;) Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My cilantro went to seed last week it always does that when it gets hot. The plant made a lot of seeds so I stirred many of the seeds into the soil in a 15" circle mixing them with the soil at several depths to about 2" deep. I hope 50 plants will come up this will give me a good bush size plant with I hope 1 lb of seeds. When you grind the seeds into powder it becomes Coriander I will refill the coriander spice bottle in the kitchen and save a small bag of seeds to grow next summer. I don't have much luck planting a few seeds all at the same depth a mix of 150 seeds in 2" of soil on the surface works very well for me. Some seeds do not germinate well in hot weather I think cilantro is that type seed, keep them cool inside the house about 70 degrees F until they all hatch, I mean germinate. LOL.

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”