dragonthumbs

VegTrugs?

Hey everyone, I just recently invested in a VegTrug. Has anyone else used these raised garden beds before? I actually splurged and got a cold case frame to go over top of it. I am looking forward to using it for the first time, I was wondering for those who may have one, any advice as to what should go in or how to maintain it? Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You needed something you could access from standing without bending or from a wheelchair?

dragonthumbs

no, I just thought it was a sturdy raised garden bed. That and it would be handy for my mom too.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It should be a sturdy and long lasting raised bed. I only asked because to me $300 or so seems like a fairly ungodly amount to pay for a 6 x 2.5' raised bed unless you really need that much height. I built my 8x4' raised beds out of landscape timbers for $30 each. But of course they sit on the ground and are not very raised.

If you read the reviews of it people say it is difficult to assemble and the instructions aren't real good, but otherwise they are very pleased with it. Be sure you have it where you want it to stay before you put dirt in it. Filled it is very heavy and isn't going to be moved.

Wej

We're starting our 2nd season with ours. My one note is, check for Black Widows. Our 3 units arrived with Black Widows inside the wood. I thought I got rid of all of them last year but must have missed some eggs because we had more this year. They come out of hiding at night so grab a flashlight and check then. Other than that I'm enjoying gardening at a comfortable working height.

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”