aarnswife
Newly Registered

Brown and white veins in squash plant

I am new to gardening this is my first year. I am in Texas. I have had an awful time with my squash and I lost on eplant and the remaining one had mold and I removed all the leaves that were affected and it seems to be doing great and then yesterday I noticed several leaves had weird looks to the veins iand I don't know what this is. Can someone tell me?
ImageImage

They are fine on the back from what I can tell: Image
TIA!

applestar
Mod

Those squiggly lines are leafminer tracks. Fly maggots that burrow between top and bottom layers of leaves, leaving white squiggly tunnels and leaving behind poop as they travel.

You can either trim out the squiggles with the pest inside with scissors, cut off entire leaves, or try to squish them between the leaves -- slight bump at the end of the tunnel.

Some people use yellow sticky traps to trap the flies.

imafan26
Mod

Most of the time leafminers just cause cosmetic damage and can be tolerated. I usualy squish the maggot at the end of the trail as the leaf can still photosynthesize.

aarnswife
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:Those squiggly lines are leafminer tracks. Fly maggots that burrow between top and bottom layers of leaves, leaving white squiggly tunnels and leaving behind poop as they travel.

You can either trim out the squiggles with the pest inside with scissors, cut off entire leaves, or try to squish them between the leaves -- slight bump at the end of the tunnel.

Some people use yellow sticky traps to trap the flies.

Thanks, I pulled them off - but the next day found a large white "maggot"? in the vine close to the stem... I pulled it out and am just waiting to see if the plant dies. There is one tiny squash on it now, but it has bright green and strong leaves right now ;/

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”