Dugonit
Newly Registered

Dampwood termites in new cedar beds, help!

I've built a number of cedar beds, 4' x 10' x 20". The cedar is untreated. The wood in all of the beds is now covered with small dampwood termite nymphs. (I know what they are because I saw a previous infestation). :cry:

I (now) know that the wood can be treated with a boric acid product such as Boracare, at least before the beds are filled with dirt. I'll do that for future beds (I've built of 3 of 20). But what about the ones I've already filled? These are vegetable beds. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the existing termite infestation, short of emptying the beds and treating the wood?

imafan26
Mod

If termites are a problem it might be better
1. find the source. If they are in the beds they are probably also in the house, any wood buried in the ground like fenceposts, they will even infest trees and shrubs. My mom has termites eating the avocado and a ficus bonsai. After the house was tented the termites killed all of my roses.

2. I would move the garden if you are going to treat the area. Boric acid in large amounts may be a problem.

3. If termites are a problem build the beds out of different materials like hollow tiles, keystone blocks, rocks , bricks, or just hill up the mounds and don't use a border. I think if you remove the wood and till up the bed several times, they may take the hint and move.

4. consider termite baits instead. Killing workers is like killing ants, the problem does not get better unless you target the queen. I don't know about where you live but here termites are very hard to control since a single colony can stretch up to 20 miles and the colonies can have multiple queens. The termite guy told me not to plant anything or keep plants or water within 18-24 inches of the foundation. The foundation should be evenly moist so extend downspouts out so they drain well away from the foundation. Not having anything near the foundation makes it easier to maintain the house and inspect the foundation. Termite spays are available that form a barrier around the house against ground termites. However, the ones that are allowed these days are not very long lasting, so have to be reapplied more often. Drywood termites are another animal altogether, like with ants, roaches and mice, it helps to paint your house every few years to make sure you inspect every inch caulk and seal all entry ways. They can only be killed with tenting. a major infestation is not something a homeowner should try to take on. It is usually a job for the pros since they know where to look and have access to things a homeowner cannot get. They should also be able to tell you how safe the chemicals will be for your garden and how long it would be before you could harvest from it again. It is expensive but, so is the cost of repairing the damage if you let it go too long.

imafan26
Mod

This is why my garden bed is built out of stone and hollow tiles. There is never a problem with termites, it is easy to build for someone with no handyman skills, and lasts a long long time.

Redwood usually is not preferred by termites, but it will still have problems with wood rot depending on how wet it stays (15-20 yrs). Cedar is rot resistant but not termite resistant

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”