tdump
Cool Member

Raised beds for 2016

well they seem to be doing well this year. Cabbage,I am putting the diatomaceous earth on it and still getting a couple holes here and there. Onions doing well. Radishes are not growing very big. I used seed strips from Burpee.
Tomatoes, well, the plants were getting TALL in the pots and they were put over a foot in the ground last month and now they are really growing. The first 1 to bloom was the Ambrosia gold cherry tomato on the far right in the small bed.
The White Beefsteak and Red Beef steak are already almost 3 foot tall!

The little bed I built from lumber I found on the side of the road, has herbs in it and they seem to be happy. I had to buy them as the 1's I tried to grow from seed did not work out.
The 2 little grey pots have last years ornamental hot peppers in them. I ate some last night and they are really coming out and producing again. Better than they did last year actually.
I planted some of my purple taters in the little patch outlined by the phone pole along with a few tomato plants and my sweet tater slips I started in January.
Thanks for the help and ideas you all gave me in regards to last years post so this could work better for me.
I need to get up to the big garden tomorrow and try to get it cultivated and the watermelons planted.
Attachments
DSC00048.JPG
DSC00052.JPG
DSC00050.JPG
DSC00051.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Re: Raised beds for 2016

Looking good. I could not have that much wood in direct contact with soil and water, the termites would have a party.
I have sprinklers in my gardens too, it makes watering so much easier and I have them zoned so I can work on one part of the garden while watering the others. In my borders where I have permanent plants like the roses, glads, lillies and geraniums I use a drip system.

The sprinkler in the garden can be changed out to be higher or lower or I can switch out the head for a multi head. I did have soakers at one time in the vegetable garden but they clog over time and I don't leave them on long enough to soak the ground evenly. I also had to move them out of the way every time I harvested or amended the garden otherwise I would have to repair the leaks.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

tdump
Cool Member

My plan is to move the rain water collector barrel out from where it is and run some hose over to each bed. Then turn using a tire pump,pressurize the barrel so it will help water flow out of a pipe with holes drilled in it over the plant base. Kinda along the lines of a sprayer but not with that much force.
that is later down the road. at the moment the old metal watering can seems to work ok.
I eat the last lettuce saterday night. For whatever reason i don't get but about 4 salads worth from my lettuce and it withers away.Perhaps I need to set out some more?
I think next year I will replace the phone pole bed with another raised bed. I can grow the same stuff, but be able to work it better.

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

I like the idea of using scrap or found lumber to build raised a raised bed or box. The first thing that comes to mind is pallets. I built my first chicken coop from pallet lumber...takes quite a bit more effort than using dimensional lumber. I still keep my eye open small pallets that are in good shape.
Avoid predictable disaster caused by unpredictable events, keep yourself open to positive outcomes from improbable events. -Aaron C. Brown

tdump
Cool Member

I did some yard work and the used treated lumber for the 2 large beds was part of what I needed to clean up and haul off. So I only had to buy a couple pieces. I cleaned out a garage and got the decking screws that were left over from that guys projects, so they didn't even cost me. :)
I was green before it was the thing. I have always repurposed stuff,rebuilt,reused,repaired. Then when I was suddenly on fixed income, I was able to adapt and still enjoy life.

tdump
Cool Member

Well I kept the dio- earth stuff on the cabbage all I could with it raining as much as it has lately. But the cabbage went south in a hurry last week. No slugs that i could find under a board either. Radishes, plants were huge, nothing on the end big enough to eat. So those 2 things got jurked out of the ground yesterday and put in the compost tumbler with some green grass clippings . I am giving up on cabbage. Dang it,I wanted to make my own slaw.

The tomato plants in the smaller bed ,2 are now over 6 foot tall. Growing over the top of the fence panel.

tdump
Cool Member

Peppers and tomatos seem to be doing ok.
The Sunsugar in the short bed is over 9 feet tall now! :()
Attachments
DSC00015.JPG
DSC00016.JPG

catgrass
Green Thumb

Do you have enough sun? Usually when tomato plants get that big they are more foliage and don't fruit well. At least 6 hours of sun for tomatoes.
zone 9 Southwest La.

tdump
Cool Member

There is sun on them from about 7 am till 3 pm
There is a bunch of the cherry tomatoes coming on now. My first ripe 1 is going to be a Ambrosia gold cherry, it is almost ready today. I hope the 3 in the other bed start putting on more.There is some green 1's on them but not many.

tdump
Cool Member

my first ripe tomato for 2016 :D
Also,what I did last night with some of the zucchini squash i started from seed,along with my first purple bell pepper,my first banana pepper ,alot of my onions and some stuff from the store of course
Attachments
DSC00017.JPG
DSC00019.JPG