Gardener123
Green Thumb

I made this raised bed because of my bad back.

I made it slightly different, and I think much more durable. I had to do this to keep gardening with my bad back.

Mine is 10' deep and 8' wide. 30" high. Any idea how much soil I would need? I am thinking about 6 yards.

So, I have a question.... should I fill it all with soil and rocks for drainage, or just soil? I also plan to add some wood that I have laying around that has started to decompose from sitting on soil for 7 years.....
Attachments
raised bed.jpg
Last edited by Gardener123 on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Wow! What a nice little raised garden. You did a fantastic job.
I don't know if you should add rocks or not. I don't think you need rocks, but let's see what the others have to say about that.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

I left off the door because I was lazy, but thinking about it now, I think I need to put a door on.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Nice looking raised garden bed!!! :) I don't think rocks are necessary. Just plain soil is fine unless you want to save some soil bu filling half of the bed with rocks. (For most plants less than half of the bed's depth is enough).

I don't see why you would need a door unless you want it to look nicer.

How much did this project cost to make? :) (guessing $400+?!)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Adding rocks at the bottom does not improve drainage. But 30" is more soil depth than you need and filling it all with good topsoil would be expensive. You can do the rocks or you can put a false bottom on it and just fill the top part or you can do hugelkultur and fill the bottom half with rotting logs and wood. Understand that over time that will sink and in the meantime in the first year you will have to add lots of nitrogen as the wood soaks it up.

GardenThrive

30" of soil is about 20" more than you'll need to grow most things except maybe potatoes, and some of the larger varieties of carrots and onions. If money is an option you can definitely use rocks sand, or logs to take up some of the lower space, because it will take lots of soil. Probably about 6 cu. yds like you had said from what I can see. Like Rainbowgardener said, it is not necessary for improved drainage . It should drain just fine if you have a good quality soil, even at a 30" depth. If it were me I would probably at least do one side the full depth for growing root crops. Anyways that's a nice looking raised bed and will definitely be easier on the back.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

AnnaIkona wrote:Nice looking raised garden bed!!! :) I don't think rocks are necessary. Just plain soil is fine unless you want to save some soil bu filling half of the bed with rocks. (For most plants less than half of the bed's depth is enough).

I don't see why you would need a door unless you want it to look nicer.

How much did this project cost to make? :) (guessing $400+?!)

Yes, about $350.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

Yep, rainbow, I know how it will sink. Had that even in small raised beds. But I never thought about the nitrogen, so thanks!

Allyn
Green Thumb

I agree with the others; rocks won't improve drainage as it being a raised bed will drain plenty well enough. I'd use a 'filler' in the bottom. Rocks or sand -- whichever is cheaper. I assume you built the side walls sturdy enough to hold the lateral force of the weight of the material trying to push out the sides.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

Yes indeed, the walls are extremely well supported with cross braces.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

You wouldn't have to fill it all with topsoil although that would be better for the plants. Clean fill would work just fine.

I think it's lovely. And it's just high enough so you don't have to bend much.

Mr green
Green Thumb

I would fill it with the wood you have and perhaps some other finer organic debree to fill in the gaps and a decent amount of soil on top of that.

Very beautiful garden bed! I'm jeallous!

lovely_star

This looks fabulous, I love how you built in the trellises into the beds!

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”