Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Very creative stacked raised bed idea.

A friend has built a very interesting set of raised beds that look like a Childs bunk bed. He put 4x4 posts in the ground in a rectangle shape 3'x8' with a 4"x4" post on each corner of each box. There is a raised bed box attached to the 4 post at 3 feet from the ground and another box 6 feet from the ground. He has a small ladder like you would use to climb into a bunk bed to get to the top raised bed. One raised bed is a waist level easy to reach with no bending over. He can also plant under the raised beds in the soil. 3 crops one on top the other. He has them all end to end in an east/west row so they all get full sun all day from the south. Angle of the sun on June 21 is at its highest point 78 degrees so the beds on top do not shade the beds on bottom. He said that he tried this last summer with 1 raised bed it worked good so this year he built 6 more. Nothing is planted yet he has to buy several truck loads of soil to fill the boxes. With a total of 7 of these bunk bed type raised beds he has 14 raised beds plus 7 beds on the ground, a total of 21 places to plant his crops. LOL. This is the craziest thing I ever saw but it seems like this would be a great idea for someone with a very small yard and very limited garden space.

I am curious has anyone done this or seen it done?

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

Interesting idea...it seems to me that there is very little shadow at noon during summer, meaning the lower boxes would be in full shade. What did he grow last year? In any case, I salute his experimental gardening. 8)

imafan26
Mod

It does sound interesting. I wouldn't test my carpentry skills though. I would like to hear what he planted in the beds and how well they do.

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”