Mommyoftwo

New to gardening

I am very new to gardening. We just moved into a place that has a designated garden area we have to clean out and make fresh again. I want to grow a variety of vegetables but I'm trying to start small. I bought a bunch of seeds that I did not think would grow and surprise... all of them are. Now I am going to buy a couple of the small raised beds at home depot and plant within the next week or two but do not know where to start. Any advid gardeners will g to school me on the in and outs of raised bed gardening.

Oh by the way in 4 month pregnant with a 2 year old and my husband will need to help me. I know I probably bit off more than I can chew but still :)

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Welcome to the forum :) I'm a mother of two youngsters as well!
In most areas, it's time to plant seeds, so feel free to ask any questions if you have any about your seedlings!
As raised beds need lots if soil, I would order delivered bulk soil from a landscaper for very cheep ($10 /yard)
Once again, welcome!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

"... a bunch of seeds ... a couple of the small raised beds"

Maybe you should think about spacing :). With good, fertile soil and attention to water requirements, you could try this:
hexagonal-planting_kindlephoto-463267790.jpg
hexagonal-planting_kindlephoto-463267790.jpg (30.88 KiB) Viewed 8880 times
Generally, you can follow a "distance between plants" guide and ignore the "distance between rows." As you become familiar with garden plants, you will be able to imagine the size of them at maturity.

Harvest them at maturity. You might be really "upping" the vegetable part of your diet during some weeks ;). Replace them with other vegetables! Bush beans are good for succession since they can grow during the summer. Fall greens work for me ... after the time when green beans will not have time to produce. Keep your beds full! You might even be able to do that right through the winter, there in central California.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

If you are going to add to your beds. I suggest you try to get some 55 gallon drums (food grade). Have your husband cut them in half length wise and build and "X" frame out of wood to support them. You can fill them with potting soil and the frame can be built to raise the bed to a comfortable height for you to work with. It is good for things like herbs, lettuce and beets.

GardenThrive

The great thing about raised beds is that you are in control of the soil structure. I would suggest something like Mel's mix. It's 1/3 each of peat moss, vermiculite, and mixed composts. It provides a soil that drains well, but also retains moisture. It's also easy to work in because it won't get compacted. The compost feeds the plants organically reducing the need for fertilizers. My thinking is that if I go through the effort of putting in a raised bed, I want to have the best soil possible. For peppers and tomatoes it's s good idea to wait to plant until night time temps are consistently at 50 and above with no frost in the forecast. It will depend on you location. Lots of times they will give planting forecasts on the local news channel during the weather segment. I'm in central Alabama and we have one more cold night left. Going down to 39 tonight, but then it's planting time next weekend! Good luck with your raised beds and let us know if you have any more questions.

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”