SRStark01
Newly Registered

How much compost/topsoil to native soil?

Hi there,

I'm kind of new to gardening and I was hopping some of my fellow gardeners could help me determine how much compost I need for my newly built raised bed. Allow me to explain my project.

It's actually probably more accurate to call it a simi-raised bed. That is, I built it into a slight incline so in order to level the bed one side is almost completely buried. Because of this, I now need to till up the native soil in order to either remove it and bring in new garden soil or mix in compost and/or top soil to reach my desired level of 6 to 8 inches. In the interest of cost I've decided it best to mix in the compost and/or topsoil.

So my question for all you gardening experts out there is; How much compost and/or topsoil do I need to add to the existing 3 or 4 inches of native soil to reach my desired level of 6 to 8 inches? The bed is 10'X20'. Also I live in the Kansas City Missouri area if that helps.

Thanks,
Shawn

Lonesomedave
Location: NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE- zone 6B - 7A on USDA plant hardiness map

well....that depends... :mrgreen: .....how good is your native soil?

you could follow my example, but that cost me a couple hundred bucks, prob'ly closer to 3....I purchased topsoil and leaf compost (yes, they had REAL hardwood leaf compost at my local), and I just used that to fill up my containers and to fill up my in-ground beds....very satisfactory, but, like I said....you get what you pay for.

an alternative would be to till up your soil, build a raised bed or beds in the area and add in some good soil, compost etc, and mix them good

another plan would be to send some samples of your soil to your local extension, and see what they recommend....it was free the last time I did it in nashville, so I presume the cost is still quite reasonable

I will say this....I do not believe it is possible to work too much compost, great soil, peat etc into your soil....on the other hand, if you want to know how little you can do and still be successful, I think my above plan about sending in soil samples would be a good place to start

don't be afraid...just be aware that what you are going for is good, deep arable (how bout that word) soil, with plenty of organic material mixed in.....manure, compost, fish emulsion.....you name it....and don't think you have to do it all this year....move deliberately and within a couple of years, I bet you'll have great soil

don't skimp on front end....this is a marathon, not a sprint.... :-()

you have approximately 134 cubic feet of garden to fill or, right at 5 cubic yards....if you bought my topsoil, from my guy, I believe you would pay right at 200.00 for it.....there has got to be a cheaper way

I say, send in your soil for testing, and then, call around to local nurseries and put together a plan for filling up your bed...it will work

/s/ dave

imafan26
Mod

I do soil tests and it helps with knowing how to correct pH and fertilize. If you want to be organic you usually have to ask for organic recommendations.

I do believe you can add too much compost to some soils but 4-5 inches should not hurt. The main things is to make sure it is well composted otherwise if you want to plant right away, you will have to supply additional nitrogen.

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”