jnunez918

Ants!!!

There are a ton of ants in my raised herb bed. How can I get rid of the ants and the garden still be good to use for spring planting?

catgrass
Green Thumb

What kind of ants? Are they fire ants? If so, use a bait, like Amdro. the ants will take it into the mound and feed the queen-You will kill some-the mound will move and start over somewhere else.

jnunez918

They are mostly black looking

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Someone else just asked about this (must be the season for them!). See my post in this thread: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =4&t=66849

imafan26
Mod

You cannot use amdro in the garden only on the perimeter. Read the label. Sweet eating ants, I use outdoor terro bait. The bait stays in the container so I can use it in the garden. Citrus trees, lemon grass and gardenia are magnets for ants so I know to put the bait near them. You can pour boiling water on the nest but unless you kill the queen, the nest is likely just to move over a few feet. Killing the queen is the only way to really get rid of a colony. Greenhouse frogs eat ants.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Terro is just borax.

lovely_star

Diatomaceous earth

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

We have what I call common red ants. Are they a benefit or a problem in the garden? At the personal level they are an irritating nuisance, and they encourage aphids. On the other hand they probably do a lot of pollinating. Anything else to be said about them?

imafan26
Mod

Ants are hard to get rid of in the garden. I do use terro ant bait but it stays in the container and the ants get it and take it to feed the queen. Amdro works on the mounds but you do have to find the nest. Usually, if the ants know the nest is compromised they move it over a few feet and start over.

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”