SmokeyGnome

Best way to treat garden bed wood

Well I don't need advice on building it since its already built, but I do need advice on treating the wood. iv bought an oil stain and weather treatment for the wood. iv already stained the outside. it now dawns on me that I should probably ask if staining the inside would harm the plants? I don't think its a natural oil stain. its just some cheap thompsons water seal.

Should I leave the inside bare, or will staining it have no effect?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The stain and water seal is one product? (not two separate items?) In that case, it shouldn't hurt the plants since the seal keeps everything in. I have heard some people say don't seal the inside and the outside both, because keeps the wood from breathing or traps the moisture in. However that is exactly what I did. I built beds out of treated pine fencing and sealed them inside and outside. 11 years later they are still going strong, so it worked for me.

SmokeyGnome

well the can says stain and water seal so yea I guess its both. but since its not a natural oil stain and is a chemical stain should I be worried about how it may effect the plants? or once its dried is it ok?

I'm really not worried about how long it lasts since I plan to be moving out of here within the next couple years. so maybe I should just leave it unstained.

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”