Richiek350

Miracle Gro Organic Choice Soil ok for Raised Bed?

Hello All,

Going to finish building my raised bed today. Has anyone had any experience with Miracle Gro ORGANIC CHOICE - Garden Soil. It's at about $6.97 for 1.5 Cu ft worth.

I have always read about all kinds of things going into Miracle Gro, but I would imagine the Organic Choice is past that. After some research I found a pretty large number of negative reviews on the soil. Everything from trashbits to bugs to lack of soil in the bag of soil.

Any suggestions on soil for a raised bed that I would find in my area? Any input would be great. Thanks!

Rich

Handsomeryan
Cool Member

Depending on the size of your bed, you'll go broke filling it with 'premium' bagged soil like that. I recommend getting some bales of compressed peat moss and mix it with some compost, aged manure, and other similar stuff. That should be a lot cheaper and still provide a desirable end result.

Avoid cheap bagged topsoil (usually about $1.50/bag) as it is mostly rocks clay and charcoal dust to make it look dark.
Gardening is mostly an issue of your enthusiasm holding up until you get used to the work.

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”