winemaker
Newly Registered

What to Put Between Raised Beds

Hi,
I just changed my way of vegetable gardening from tilled ground to raised beds. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions as to what to put on the ground around the raised beds.

Originally I was going to use pea gravel or similar, but someone suggested wood chips instead. Although I think this would look nice, I'm concerned about it attracting unwanted bugs (like termites). I live in Seattle, which after typing that I realized one downside to wood chips - wood chips in my house from my damp shoes when it rains. Any thoughts? Cheers

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You can buy bark mulch that has large chunks of wood instead of the fine stuff that will blow all over your neighbourhood and that you will track into your house.

Another option would be some sort of lawn that after mowing you can add to a compost pile to make soil that you will be able to add to your raised beds to make lovely soil.

Yet another option is to plant Hairy Vetch or some other sort of ground cover that you can walk on and mow if you like. Though, if you choose Kannickanick as a ground cover, you won't want to mow it. Hairy vetch is good because it is a legume and will aid the fixation of nitrogen which, will be added to your soil around the raised beds.

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”