hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Walk around new raised beds and nursery area

Doing very well considering it is the first season, and with marginal fill used in the beds. Why don't you share some images of your raised beds and how your plants are doing?

Here is a brief walk around our newest set of beds.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/15582147@N04/3592559169/

somegeek

Man - I'd like to have more space in my backyard. :) Nice video - thanks for sharing!

Pebbles

Everything looks so lovely and healthy. What have you used on top of your soil/compost. They look like little white stones. Please let me know so I can see if I can get some over here in England.

kylie77

Wow, lovely garden. You're so lucky to have all that space to play with! Looks great!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Pebbles,

Actually what you are seeing on top of the soil, is really throughout it. This year my compost is cooking, so I'm having to use synthetic potting soil for my beds and containers. For containers, the synthetic potting mix tends to be way too heavy and retains too much water. To improve the quality of that soil, I add about 20% perlite. The perlight shows up as little white rocks where it is seen on the surface area. Another name for perlite is sponge rock. Next year, I'll likely use a blend of both perlite and vermiculite to improve the drainage and moisture retention of the soil that is used in containers.

Kilie and S.G., thanks. We are fortunate indeed, as we live in the middle of 130 acres of family property that went to my wife and her sister. For the past many years I've maintained about 2.5 acres around the house. This year, on a whim, decided to stretch that out to 5 acres around the house. Is so nice that the process simply involves moving the boundary fence out to where ever we wish.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Alex, nice video, and thanks for sharing. Wow, you do have quite a bit of space! I had no idea you had that much space. Your plants are looking great, and your tomato plants are HUGE.

Pebbles

Thanks very much for the information Alex - it is much appreciated. I will make note and see if we have them over here.

Lots and lots of land. I am very envious. I don't think I even have a quarter of an acre :cry: but my vegies in my green house are doing wonderfully :D I'm just getting flowers on my tomatoes at the moment. They are coming along lovely now that we are entering the summer and warmer weather.

Loved the videos but unfortunately our sound wouldn't work so I couldn't here anything. We are hoping to get it fixed shortly.

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”