Spotted
Cool Member

How tall to make Raised Bed boxes? What materials are best?

I was wondering what great ideas any one has used to make Raise beds. We are looking to put in a vegetable and herbal garden in the back yard. We would like to know how tall the boxes need to be for the raised beds, also what materials are best. Any suggestions on building and upkeep are highly appreciated.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I've seen recommendations for raised beds to be anywhere from 6" to 3' deep. That's a six-fold difference!

My own are 10 to 12 inches deep, except for the potato bin, which gets layers stacked on throughout the season until it's 3 layers of 2 x 12" boards deep.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

spotted, The first question is why do YOU want a raised bed? Is your ground really rocky or really bad? Do you not want to bend down as far? Do you want one just to keep a neat line between your garden and your yard? With these answered better recommendations are can be made.

As far as material again it kind if has to do with what you needs are. But if money is no object then I would get those recycled plastic boards they use for decks and other things. Once those are up you won't have to worry about replacing those. Pressure treated is ok but you have to line it with plastic if you want to be safe. Other types of wood would depend on what you can find locally that can withstand the weather. OR you can jump on freecycle and see if anyone will give you old lumber they aren't using anymore and just use that. Of course you may have to rebuild it in a few years but at least the boards didn't cost you anything.

elevenplants

I have done my first raised beds this year (lasagna bed, layered), and used old bricks, stacked and staggered to make my walls. My beds are about 12 inches deep. Nothing fancy, but the dirt is soooo rich and when I dig down, I can't find the solid ground anymore. I started them last fall and they sat all winter, soaking up sun and rain. I expect big things from them (especially tomatoes)!

Rebecca

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sometime when things are growing in them again, I'll post pictures of mine, because I think they are very cool. They are made of regular 4X4 fence posts, just stacked into a box. Then holes are drilled straight through the stack and long spikes driven through. Holds it very solid; I didn't use any glue or mortar, etc (you want them to drain). Mine are 5 posts high, because they sit on a concrete patio, so there's not ground under them. If they were sitting on dirt, could be less. Then I stained and varnished them, so they are beautiful. The varnish stain (you can get 1-step stuff) needs to be renewed every couple years. Line the inside, since the fence posts are treated. Mine are 4X8 feet. They are tall enough and the posts are wide enough so you can sit on the edge, and the plants are up high enough to be easily reachable. In the past I had made beds out of boards and they deteriorated quickly. These are 8 years old and show no sign of deteriorating. Many advantages to raised beds, you can fill them with beautiful soil, you never step on them, so the ground doesn't get compacted, they are easy to fence, put row covers over, keeps things from spreading to other parts of your yard, etc, etc. I love mine...

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”