traveldreamer
Newly Registered

raised beds over asphalt tennis court

We have an old tennis court that we don't want to repair, nor do we want to dig up all the asphalt. I was wondering if I could make raised beds on top of the court. If so, what would be the best type of bed (wood, plastic, etc) or wouldn't it matter? Would I need to drill holes toward the bottom of each bed for good drainage? I'm a little worried about planting on a solid surface in terms of drainage issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

applestar
Mod

Try searching for school gardens or urban gardens. I read, I think in a Waldorf School related book, about converting a portion of a parking lot into children's gardens. If I remember correctly, what they did was to put in a good thick layer of wood mulch (6~8"?), then built raised gardens on top of that. This solved the drainage problem since the water would not be trapped inside the raised bed enclosure. They, of course, recommended wood that is not pressure treated.

I guess if you're only growing ornamentals, you could put down a water permeable landscaping cloth to keep soil from washing away into the mulch, fill with soil and compost and you're ready to plant whatever you like.
I'm not sure how much of the asphalt chemicals could come back to haunt you if you wanted edibles. In that case, I'm guessing you would have to line the raised bed with an impermeable barrier.... But then we're back to the drainage problem. :?:

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”