Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Found this in our backyard. What is it? >> MOREL

We think it's a Morell but want other opinions. It has been damp and we found it under some cardboard and near our firepit ash..

Thanks all!

:-() https://www.houzz.com/photos/51907905/Name-this-Mushroom

Mr green
Green Thumb

Its a Morell! Habitat sounds very likely too, since they love ash.
Places that has had forest fires are good places to look for morells.

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Heya! Thanks! We're going to fry it up! :D

Mr green
Green Thumb

https://www.mushroomexpert.com/morchella ... oides.html

This could be the correct species. However I don't know wich ones grow in your area.
Remember is adviced that you cook them well, atleast 10min (Allthough if your know them well some should be fine anyway). I love to pick mushrooms, but I rarely eat them.

Morels are a highly prized mushrooms.

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Heya quick update! We fried them up in butter and wow was the taste delicious! So buttery earthy and well straight up delicious! Thanks for the tips!

Mr green
Green Thumb

Thanks for the update, glade you liked your morel! And hope the spot will produce more. You could water it if it gets dry to keep it going with some luck. Maybe the cardboard was helping to keep soil damp? So maybe wanna put some kind of mulch there to insure more fruiting, hopefully anyway :).

But my knowledge is that morels are very hard to cultivate, and with some luck you can increase yeald on a spot, but there seem to be no direct science. But keeping them from getting dry is always good. Some advise putting ash, you hardly need to do that since its growing around your ash firepit.

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Hi!

Thank you for your awesome advice! We didn't think to water the spot, but will now try and keep it moist. We did put a few cardboard boxes over a few spots and it looks like more are growing! Yes! Can't wait to eat them :)

Mr green
Green Thumb

Your welcome, I'm happy to hear you found more is growing! Hopefully you can harvest some from this patch in spring a few more years to come. In the wild they usually last 2-4years in the same spot (atleast the kinds I have here).

Btw, don't water if its reasonably damp already. Too much water can be a negative thing it also depends on how well the soil drains you don't want it to stand in water. But the cardboard is helping I'm sure, but maybe you should break it in pieces so that the fruits can penetrate threw the protecting layer?

Just throwing some ideas, what a wonderful thing to find growing wild in the backyard btw! :)

Return to “Mushroom Forum”