Marissabella
Newly Registered

Could someone help me identify these mushrooms please?

They are growing in my yard and I am concerned because my dog may have eaten one. I am worried that they may be the death caps, but I am not sure. I just popped them out of the ground, so I am not sure if there was an egg sack of not. We live near forests, but my house is surrounded by 2 busy roads, and no forest near the area. They were growing near the red decorative stone and arborvitae bushes. I have been trying to figure out what they are all day and can't seem to! .. what do you think these are? How can I get rid of them? Could they be toxic? They are about the size of my thumb, and the heads are about a quarter in size. Could be a bit bigger than a quarter, but not half dollar size.
Attachments
Mushies.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Mushroom poisoning is usually noticed shortly after ingesting usually within 30 minutes to 4 hours of ingestion. Intestinal pain is the most common symptom. Symptoms that appear later after 4-6 hours may have more ingested more serious toxins. It might be better to call the poison control or the vet for symptoms to watch for. They may ask you to bring in a sample so it is good to have pictures of these. Mushrooms are not that easy for the lay person to identify.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I agree with imafan.
Many white mushroom varieties are indeed poisonous. I found some information that might help you. Here is the link:

https://www.wildfooduk.com/articles/iden ... mushrooms/

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Here is another link to help you:

"Identifying Amanitas"
https://www.wildfooduk.com/articles/iden ... -amanitas/

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But all of that is kind of scary for nothing. They are ONLY toxic if you eat them. Therefore, the answer is simple -- don't eat them. Otherwise they are not a problem and no particular need to get rid of them unless you have small children who might find them and put them in their mouths. Probably not amanita which usually is not pure white. If they were death caps, your dog would be dead already or at least vomiting. So he kindly tested them for you and declares them safe.

imafan26
Mod

Mushrooms and toadstools pop up in lawns all the time especially after it has been raining for awhile. They are the flowering bodies of fungi. Dethatching the turf helps remove the dead roots and aerating the soil will help to promote drainage and get rid of the dead matter that the fungi feed on. There are some lawn fungicides available. You will need to read the product label to make sure it is the right one that will work for you.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I agree, good advice. I stay clear of mushrooms that grow in my yard. A friend from school, his 18 year old son died from eating wild mushrooms. It was a horrible tragedy.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Personally I think most of the fungicides sold in garden stores are worse poisons than the mushrooms. The mushrooms are completely harmless if you don't eat them, and are beneficial in the environment.

Daconil (chlorothalonil) for example, is a commonly sold garden fungicide. In humans it is toxic to kidneys and potentially carcinogenic as well causing skin and eye problems. And this is not from eating it, it is from being exposed to the sprays, through skin contact and/or breathing it in. Chlorothalonil and its metabolites are highly toxic to fish, aquatic invertebrates, and marine organisms, so it is very damaging if it leaches through the soil into waterways.

I think I would keep the mushrooms!

Return to “Mushroom Forum”