Miss Sprout

how to grow mushroom

hi everyone

does anyone know the easiest way to grow mushrooms, is there any details I should know about growing them and where should I grow them?

:)thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You do know that mushrooms aren't really plants, they are fungi? They are usually grown indoors in the dark. They can be grown outdoors on hardwood logs, by inoculating the log with the mushroom spores, but this is a tricky process that isn't always successful and even when it is, takes a long time to produce any mushrooms. If you are seriously interested in growing mushrooms, I'd start by finding a good book on the subject. There's a lot to know.

applestar
Mod

You might want to start by buying a mushroom growing kit from a reputable source. I've seen them advertised in various catalogs. I've tried a shiitake kit several years ago that worked well. They are usually some kind of growing medium inoculated with specific mushroom spawn (the ones I see most often are Shiitake, regular button mushrooms, Portabellas, and oyster) They come with full growing instructions. Some catalogs don't seem to ship them until the end of October -- but that's coming up. :wink:

I *think* the last time I got mine from https://fungiperfecti.com/ At any rate, this website has tons of info. Oh, actually, looking at their products, shipping schedule depends on variety.

NatGreeneVeg

I agree. Kits are absolutely the easiest way to go.

Be sure to watch when they start, they grow fast!

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

depends on what kind of mushroom you want to grow! agreed with applestar, fungi perfecti's got lots of good info.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I've only heard of growing them on hardwoods via innoculating kits that you buy. I was told that it isn't tricky but, have not done it myself.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I bought a mushroom kit once many years ago. You mix up some liquid and pour it in the Peetree dishes. Put spores in the dishes. In a week you have white stuff growing in the dishes. Then you cut the gell in the dishes into little pieces and sprinkle the cubes on composted cow manure that you buy in bags. In a month you have mushrooms. Once they start coming you will have a lot of them to eat. They just keep on coming and coming and coming every day for about a month. Then they start to slow down a little and you have mushrooms for several more months. You can make spore prints on paper and continue to grow mushrooms for years. You can grow a 5 gallon bucket of mushrooms every week.

I had a friend that grew his mushrooms on trays of cow manure inside of an old refrigerator. I grew mine under the house. The mushrooms like it cool, dark and moist. As I recall about 55 to 60 deg F works best.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I've been thinking about this for month's. I just love me a mushroom. But as said most of the plug I have seen have been out of stock. I have seen some kits in stock but they are kinda expensive, like $40. I just can't afford that right now. I'm pretty sure the kits are the easiest. I have read that if you do plugs that you can get a harvest for years, but some do take along time to get going.

One of these day I'm going to get some plugs and try it. I see this huge stump about 4 foot high at the front of my subdivision everyday. it normally has some kind of shroom on it, with all the rain there are some HUGE ones on it right now. So yeah I think about them every day just about.

Here's an article I came along the other day that is a little different. This guy is growing I believe Oyster mushrooms in plastic bags filled with chopped straw in his greenhouse. Yet another idea.

[url=https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food-and-wine/diy-fungi-a-hobby-thats-mushrooming/article1340830/]Oyster bags-[/url]

:Edit: I'm sorry were I was looking was $33 or so for kits. Applestars link is cheaper with more variety, that looks like a good website. (Bookmarked thanks)
Last edited by gixxerific on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lilinater

aah mushrooms like to grow them but not much of a fan of eating them, what what we do is take a log drill some holes and you by the seeds online, someone else bought the mushroom seeds and I cant find where you can buy them you only have to buy them once for a few good years, hope you get some.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

lilinater wrote:aah mushrooms like to grow them but not much of a fan of eating them, what what we do is take a log drill some holes and you by the seeds online, someone else bought the mushroom seeds and I cant find where you can buy them you only have to buy them once for a few good years, hope you get some.
I've been meaning to make a thread on mushrooms mainly to find out this: Were your logs actual trees that were cut down still rooted or were they just logs brought in from somewhere else and placed in the ground? I hope that makes sense.

lilinater

they have to be just cut down, :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

lilinater wrote:they have to be just cut down, :D
I see, actually I was just on [url=https://fungiperfecti.com/index.html]Fungi Perfecti[/url] where I saw for the first time mushrooms growing out of logs like you say. Now I know, they are fairly cheap on there as well, Thanks.

That site is awesome.

Return to “Mushroom Forum”