Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Sugar feeders

Made a couple new sugar feeders this year and WOW do they like them!
https://vid80.photobucket.com/albums/j17 ... 38472c.mp4

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

wow! I never heard of feeding bees sugar in the summer (not that I know much about bee keeping). I have heard about sugar feeding through the winter. Does giving them sugar change the quality of the honey?

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I fed mine sugar syrup only because I started late in the year and they needed a kick start. From my research a 1:1 ratio is good for drawing comb. A 2:1 ration is used in fall for honey stores. It will make your honey taste like sugar. I plan on feeding them through winter because the hive isn't very strong. If they pull through the winter the will never get syrup again unless I make splits and they need some help. If you have the right amount of hive for your area they should never need syrup unless there is a drought or other unusual weather. I think most large apiaries supplement because they have too many hive for the given flora. Then they claim to be all natural organic but are not.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I suspect most beekeepers feed at some point. Yes, sugar water is the norm. Just white sugar mixed with water. There are several ways to feed the bees.
Bees are fed whenever they are low on stores of honey in the combs. New packages need to be fed for a while until they get some stores put up.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

There are also in-hive feeders for winter feeding.

imafan26
Mod

Well, the bees here may not need to be fed since they are still visiting the herb garden every day and collecting pollen and nectar. I don't cut the basil and shiso so there are a lot of flowers for them to visit. I will have to replace my lavender again. The second one this year is a goner.

The hives were moved because of nearby road construction, and some of the bees were not very happy and tried to find their old home. They were attacking everyone in their path.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

off topic, but what is happening to your lavender? Too wet for it? It really doesn't like too much water.

Return to “Beekeeping”