pinksand
Greener Thumb

Re: Bee Garden

Rairdog wrote: Image
And butterfly
This looks like some type of agastache... maybe 'golden jubilee' or 'purple haze'? I have 'golden jubilee' and although the leaves start out chartrues the color deepens to a standard green as the season progresses in my experience.

I was going to recommend bee balm, so it's nice you were able to get some. The bees also like visiting my stokesia and cleome. Although the cleome is an annual, it reseeds in my garden so it seems like a perennial, but I'm in zone 7 so I'm not sure how it will behave in zone 5.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I just noticed you mentioned wanting more reds... what about Gaillardia? They're super easy to grow from seed. I don't tend to see lots of bees around mine though :(

applestar
Mod

Balsam, <br />Zinnia, <br />(Monarda ' Jacob Kline', Zinnia, Phlox), <br />Asclepias tuberosa (Butterflyweed/flower)
Balsam,
Zinnia,
(Monarda ' Jacob Kline', Zinnia, Phlox),
Asclepias tuberosa (Butterflyweed/flower)
Jacob Kline is mildew resistant. Better than Cambridge Scarlet.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

image.jpg
I noticed bees all over my sunflowers tonight as I pulled in the driveway!

Rairdog
Green Thumb

pinksand wrote:
Rairdog wrote: This looks like some type of agastache... maybe 'golden jubilee' or 'purple haze'? I have 'golden jubilee' and although the leaves start out chartrues the color deepens to a standard green as the season progresses in my experience.

It's Anise Hyssop. I got a pink one also that;s shorter.

I was going to recommend bee balm, so it's nice you were able to get some. The bees also like visiting my stokesia and cleome. Although the cleome is an annual, it reseeds in my garden so it seems like a perennial, but I'm in zone 7 so I'm not sure how it will behave in zone 5.
Thanks, I'll look into them.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

pinksand wrote:I just noticed you mentioned wanting more reds... what about Gaillardia? They're super easy to grow from seed. I don't tend to see lots of bees around mine though :(
I haven't found big enough clumps red or orange/red blanket flowers to separate yet. This past winter slowed them down. I will have some eventually. My mom had to replace a bunch of them.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
image.jpg
Jacob Kline is mildew resistant. Better than Cambridge Scarlet.

I have a bunch of Zennia seeds and just picked up some more. I was looking at butterfly weed seeds but I think it was 365 days to bloom. JK looks interesting.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

So much for slowing down and not buying plants! Today I planted and or purchased.

Red Prince Weigalia (might add a couple more for a hedge/wind break)
Yellow Lantana (might not handle my winter)
2 Orange Poppy (they were about dead 2for a buck)
Red Poppy seeds
Robinson Red Mum seeds
Zinnia Fruit Smoothie

I also put down 2 bales of straw. I still have to put the per. seeds in. Too late for Zinnias.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Lindsaylew82 wrote:
image.jpg
I noticed bees all over my sunflowers tonight as I pulled in the driveway!
I been searching for a clumping false sunflower.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Update on Bee Garden. All the plants survived transplanting. The Shasta Daisy, Cone Flowers and Black Eyed Susan seemed to suffer but I think they will pull through in the spring. Here are a few shots.....and LOTS OF BEES

This is the mystery weed I never got an ID on. I had a feeling it was wild Aster and boy did it bloom and git big. The yellow jackets and wasps are all over it. There must be 100 at a time. I have contemplated taking out the yellow jacket burrow. They have started messing with my honey bees but they are fending them off so far. I watch them fight at the entrance. The other day I opened the observation window and the honey bees where dragging and pulling apart a yellow jacket on the floor. I have a feeling when the flows ends they will invade and steal honey.

Green Sweat bee

The Anise Hyssop has been the star for the Bumble Bees, Carpenter Bees, Sweat Bees and Honey Bees. It usually has 30 plus on it every time I approach it.

The other Hyysop gets some attention. There is one of my bees on it but blurry.

One of my bees on the Catmint.

One of my bees on the May Night Salvia

This is the Aster I got from a neighbor. She got it from another neighbor. It is all over the neighborhood in bloom. The guy got it from his grandma 20 years ago. The Sedum in the background is doing well also.

Here is the Aster? I got from mom. It has very different leaves and red flowers starting to bloom. The Lantana in the background also took off. I never see bees on it but lots of butterflies.

Short clip of the TB Hive.
[youtudotbe]https://youtu.be/qaHf_lfoBLw[/youtudotbe]

I took all the pics in 10 min just now. It is very active to say the least.

applestar
Mod

That is so cool! And so rewarding to see them thriving :D
Thanks for sharing. :-()

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow!! Terrific! The world needs more of us small scale organic gardeners to keep bees, since the bees in the large scale industrial operations are suffering so much.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Well I checked for my marked queen and she was gone. I found a new one so evidently they superseded her.

Meanwhile, I have started many wild flowers and herbs for the coming season. The Button Bush seeds I collected are popping. They went 3-4 weeks with nothing to show. I thought maybe they need light so I placed some more seeds on top this time instead of a 1/8 buried. I covered with saran wrap and set in the warm sun of the GH. The next day all of the deeper ones popped. Evidently they needed a little more heat and humidity to get motivated. Now that I know the seeds are viable I have extras if anyone wants to try them.

I also have lots of Butterfly Weed started. They are pretty much 100% germination. I was careful to get all of the tap root when up-potting and it looks like they will make it.

Wild Monarda I collected from family farm. I kinda dropped some of the tiny seeds before covering all the cells. Opps...I know where mama lives to divide up her roots if these don't make it. I'm hoping they will be PM resistant.

These berries will be going into the Bee Garden: 2m-2f Hardy Kiwi, White Grape, Goji Berry, Gooseberry and Raspberry.

More to come when they start popping!

Rairdog
Green Thumb

My bee swarmed this week. I found them on the neighbors old split rail fence post. It was surrounded by old rose bush and very difficult to get them out. I had no where to put them so I built a new Top Bar hive in about 30 minutes and used some empty bars, a bar of brood and a bar of nectar out of my other hive. I got stung about 5 times. One good one on the forehead and a one on my pinky. I just wear sweats, jersey gloves and a hunting head-net. Most of the time I can get into my hive with shorts, a t-shirt and head-net. I have one been stung once previously. Anyway.....I noticed the arthritis in my hand was much better. I went out this morning and picked a bee up off the ground and stung my elbow. 37 year of swinging a hammer has taken it's toll. It is already feeling better. Call me crazy but maybe there is some truth in BVT. Once a bee hits the ground they are about to die anyway and rarely take flight. Here is a shot of the swarm.

I must of got the queen in the first few scoops. The girls where fanning pheromones at the entrance fairly quick. The next morning there were some bees still on the post. Within a few hours they were all in the new hive. It was my first swarm. I will probably buy a veil for the next time. Other than that all you need is thick sweats and cheap gloves. I don't have a smoker and never will. A mist of water from a spray bottle sends them back down when I am putting the bars back after an inspection. That makes 2 hives with $120 invested in the first package. I had all the scrap wood, clothing, spray bottle, china brush and pry bar. I have never treated but may try it this fall when all the brood is hatched if I get a high mite count. I did spend some money on sugar last year to kick them off.

Return to “Beekeeping”