jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Sorry

Sorry, I don't like this board software. It does weird things with my postings. I can reply to a post then later when I come back on to the subject my post is not there......... ??????

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

You have 8 posts on this 1 page, James.

3 posts here this afternoon.

Were there more that were lost?

Steve

imafan26
Mod

I got stung. first time. Not through the suit but through the gloves. I have been stung by bees years ago working in my yard and I do not react. In fact, except for the pain, there wasn't any swelling or anything else. A cactus spine hurt more than that. I was able to get the stinger out quickly so that helped.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

" I spotted a mouse nest, and a bee zapped me on the cheek. I hadn't suited up, thinking that I wouldn't need to open the hives at all. I quickly departed."

Rule #1: If you are going to mess with the bees, suit up. That means the whole suit, coveralls, gloves, gauntlets, and veil.
Hey I am quite alergic, if I get stung I take 2 Benadryl tabs immediately. (Carry them in my bee suit front pocket) sometimes
when going to work the bees and figure I will likely get stung, I take the Benadryl before going out.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

This old post pops up now and then. I had a good year with the bees. My son brought 20 colonies and put on my yard. I have a 2 acre lot here so plenty of room for that. I should tell you about how he got into the beekeeping bigtime? He lives across the state from me down on the Southern end. He is into Ham radio and knew the local law enforcement folks. Well he had a hive or two of bees since he grew up with the bees. Well, a semi truck hauling bees from back East out to California for pollination, had a wreck and crashed scattering 200 colonies of bees all over the side of the road. The cops get over there.... mad bees all over, so one of them said, "Hey Casey knows bout bees, get him over here." So he got the call to come pick up the mess. He found a couple of helpers and they got it cleaned up and hauled the bees over to a vacant lot and set them down. Later when asked what he should do with the bees, he was told the insurance had paid the owner for the bees, so guess they were his.

Return to “Beekeeping”