Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Re: Bees and Honey

jal_ut wrote:Have you seen the news stories about "Red Honey" in Utah? Seems someone got some waste candy or chips from some candy candy company, candy canes with red coloring in it and was feeding it to his bees in the open. It must have been a lot of this stuff fed in several locations. Well robber bees have hauled it into many apiaries and now the bee keepers are finding red honey. It had contaminated a lot of honey in several counties. Big scuttlebut........................

It is probably ok for the bees to winter on, but for those who had not taken off their crop yet, it has ruined lots of honey.
Wonder how it effects the honey colors can vary greatly depending on what they are getting nector from. They should just sell it as christmas honey!

I have a feeding station near my hives that I put out sugar water for them to feed on. the candy cane would not be much diffrent other than it might add a pepperment flavor to the honey? The red would just be a red dye I would think?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Lots of articles on the web. Here is one.

click

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Lots of articles on the web. Here is one.

click

"The result, Burnett said, is a red syrupy substance that tastes more like cough syrup than honey."

Well thats not good unless it keeps the bees from getting a cough! Wouldn't it be wonderfull if it killed the veroa mites and small hive beetles!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The guy who is feeding that junk should feed in the hives and not in the open for other bees than his own to carry it home. Not a good thing to have in your honey supers. Its one thing to feed that for the bees to eat but you don't want it contaminating your honey.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Good information everyone, but I'm not quite ready for bees. My neighbor's bees are over here all the time. The last two days drinking from my yard hydrant.

[youtudotbe]https://youtu.be/OgGNQBZIcmc[/youtudotbe]

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Fun! Looks like your neighbor needs to water his bees. That is (or should be) part of beekeeping, giving them a water hole. They do pack a lot of water.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

James,

Just came home from having dinner with the neighbors. Wonderful spaghetti , apple crisp and home brewed beer.

They have a small water feature in their garden that the bees ignore. Not sure maybe its the pump noise.

I was telling her about the photo of you poring water on the frames. "Giving them a drink" Could you please elaborate on this.

Thank You
Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Eric, I was pouring water on a package of bees. That is, about 2 pounds of bees that had been shipped to me in a cage. A little drink of water settles them down a bit so they will go to the frames without flying so much.

Check it out.
Last edited by jal_ut on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I use 5 gallon buckets filled with water then topped over with tennis balls. the balls float and the out sides of the balls soak up water that the bees suck out. The balls keep them from drowning! It works pretty good. My other 2 hives are near a water source so I don't have to help them with water.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Yeah Eric don't let them pour water in the hive you will ruin honey kill brood and bees. The humidity would go up so high it would destroy the hive.

Best and easiest way is just a pan of water filled with rocks then add water. They land on the rocks and drink he water. They are fun to watch I have one on the edge of the porch and sit out there watching them all the time.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My broccoli is in full bloom and the bees are all over it. Not much else blooming right now.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

No bees flying today. Its raining.

imafan26
Mod

My group is set to do a honey harvest next week. We have pulled some frames already and have them in the reefer chilling. Pulling the full honey frames give the hive beetles less to rob. I think we have six supers to harvest this time.

January was our last harvest and we ended up with 117- 9 ounce jars (by volume) By weight each jar is about a pound.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Went outside and took the snow shovel and went out to the bees and moved snow away from their entrances. That got me to puffing! Cant tell now if any are going to make winter.

Artem
Newly Registered

I live in Eastern Europe, and today bees are flying like crazy. Snowdrops are flowering, grate view.

imafan26
Mod

Someone asked me to look at their hive. I have only been taking care of bees for a year but I have seen what happens when hives are not well tended. This one has not been opened in maybe a year. What do you think I will find and what do I do if they have built out comb on the lid and outside of the frames?

Artem
Newly Registered

In my opinion, the main thing is not to kill of hurt the queen. You can take old or undesirable combs out of the hive. If the season is appropriate (lots of plants are flowering right now), you can replace old combs with new.... some sort of artificial impresses for honeycombs (I don't know how to say it exactly in English), it is some kind of prevention from swarming. Don't take away all bees's food and their brood :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would simply look at the frames to see if the queen is laying and that there is good brood, and cut out any queen cells (swarm cells). You could then add a queen excluder and honey super to give them a little more room and they may just make some honey.

Here it is customary to keep bees in two deep boxes. What is in the two deeps is for the bees. when they are built up strong, a queen excluder and super are added. What they put in the super is for the beekeeper. The queen excluder is so that the queen will not lay eggs in the honey super.

applestar
Mod

We've had some frost, it's crunch time and not much flowers left... but I think this is a honeybee?

...I found it floundering in the bottom of my coffee mug in the dregs of coffee that I had with buckwheat honey :roll:

I dumped it out here. I guess she was able to recover and fly off, none-the-worse for the caffein kick because I didn't see her later. :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Applestar, yes that looks like a honey bee.

Its been clear and cool here. It has got up into the upper 50s so the bees can come out for a cleansing flight. No flowers in bloom. Many years we have snow by this date, but not any storms this season. Forecast is for another 5 days of sunshine.

imafan26
Mod

We just treated the hives with MAQ's. There are a few frames of honey, but it may not be enough to be worth harvesting yet. The small queen in one of the hives is able to get through the excluder and she likes to brood in the supers. She is a good layer, and she has a strong hive, but it does make it hard to harvest honey. A couple of hives were split and requeened a couple of months ago and are rebuilding.

We replaced some of the old frames with new ones, but the bees seem reluctant to build on them. They would rather build their own comb on the inner cover.

It is warm enough here and we have a diverse planting so their is forage for them all year. The bees like to forage on the basil in the herb garden and can be seen buzzing about most of the day.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"We replaced some of the old frames with new ones, but the bees seem reluctant to build on them. "

I went to using split bottom frames and then putting in full sheets of reinforced foundation. When the bees are crowded and needing room, you can add a super with these frames in it and the bees usually go right on it and draw it out, almost every cell worker size. Just a few drone cells around the edge. I like these reinforced frames as they hold up well in the extractor and don't sag when used as brood combs.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"We replaced some of the old frames with new ones, but the bees seem reluctant to build on them. "

I went to using split bottom frames and then putting in full sheets of reinforced foundation. When the bees are crowded and needing room, you can add a super with these frames in it and the bees usually go right on it and draw it out, almost every cell worker size. Just a few drone cells around the edge. I like these reinforced frames as they hold up well in the extractor and don't sag when used as brood combs.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Pic of the new frame with wired foundation.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The Spinner This one holds 18 frames and has an electric motor drive.

I like to use the medium sized frames for honey collection. I can at least lift a box without breaking my back. The full sized frames in a box and all full of honey get to be a challenge to lift a box.

Here we are in January and minus 13 degrees here this morning. Won't be much bee activity going on. I just wonder if they can even survive this cold? I guess we will see in April?

imafan26
Mod

We use foundation frames, the bees just seem to prefer drawing their own comb instead of building on the foundation. It takes them awhile to work on them. We have already had to remove some comb that they built on the inner cover and at a 45 degree angle to the frame. They accept the older frames but we want to replace them since they are over 4 years old.

On the last inspection we found 3 bees with deformed wings. We just completed MAQ treatment so we are hoping these are older bees.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Tho old 4 frame hand crank spinner.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"We have already had to remove some comb that they built on the inner cover and at a 45 degree angle to the frame."

Inner cover? Why do you use inner covers? What is the purpose of the inner cover? The only use I ever had for an inner cover is if I was going to put a bee escape in the hole and then use it to remove the bees from the supers.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

If you are using Langstroth type bee boxes and frames, there should be about a 3/8 inch space between the top of the frame and the lid of the box. Now if you put an innercover on then there is another space that the inner cover adds and that added to the 3/8 space you already had gives close to 3/4 inch space between the frames and the lid. Yes the bees will build in that 3/4 inch space. To avoid this, just set the innercover aside and use the lid only.

pomerinke
Cool Member

Has anyone ever seen this? I saw it on tv some time ago and thought it was interesting. I don't know much about bees, so I don't quite understand how it might be different from a regular hive. I'm mostly just curious.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Ummm.... what's a "this" ?

pomerinke
Cool Member

Sorry, not sure what happened to the link. Here it is:
https://www.honeyflow.com/

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Interesting. I have not seen this hive.

applestar
Mod

The price was :eek: -- but is really fun-looking for sure. Was looking at various ways they were protecting the honey pouring out of the tubes into the jars from the bees too.

pomerinke
Cool Member

The most interesting thing about it is you simply turn the spout and let the honey flow into your container. I believe I saw it on the show Shark Tank. Having no knowledge beekeeping, I can't say much about the claims they make, but it certainly is intriguing.
I would assume it also reduces space requirements for extracting the honey so if someone say, in my position (an apartment) it would be much easier to keep bees.
Something which didn't come to mind on my initial post: I have read multiple threads of people saying they needed to burn their hives because of diseases that could potentially affect more than a single hive. Considering the price, this would be a yuge financial limitation!

imafan26
Mod

Yeah, it is a flow hive. The rod breaks the comb and the honey oozes out of the hive without having to take out the frames and spin them. There are a couple of things. Some people said that it causes less damage to the comb since it isn't being spun and disturbs the bees less. Our bee mentor doesn't like it and says that it isn't the same. The flow hive honey comb is made of plastic and bees don't like plastic. Natural combs are made of beeswax that comes from the bodies of the bees. Beeswax removes toxins from the honey. The plastic comb can off gass and has been compared to the plastic in a tupperware container.

imafan26
Mod

Just harvested honey on April 29, 2017. We had not harvested honey for over a year, so we had a mix of dark and light honey from the whole year. A lot of bark in the dark honey. All together we harvested 12 cases or 144 11 oz net wet of honey in 9 fluid oz jars. Yeah, the labeling confused us too since both are oz but one is a volume and the other is based on the called weight. We are having a pollinator event at the next garden sale so we will have honey for sale as well as pollinator plants as well as our usual vegetables, fruit trees and landscape plants, classes on bees and other pollinators. A teaching beehive and an observation hive, we will be signing people up to take the pollinator pledge, we will have the plant doctor booth, the rose society will promote growing roses (which bees love) with less toxic chemicals and when to spray to lessen the impact on pollinators including bees. We will also have samples of artificial beehives and if we can get materials we will have some hands on beehive making for carpenter and leaf cutter bees. We have childrens activity to find plants in the garden that bees and butterflies like. We will also have the butterfly lady here to talk to people about plants to attract butterflies to the garden. We will also have some signs and posters on the other beneficial insects and plants that will help attract them to the garden to build the garden patrol and use less pesticides. We are hoping to get someone to do organic pest control and have samples of less toxic products around. We have been planning this for a couple of months now, so I am glad it is almost done.

Today we did a beehive check and there was a film crew from the UH to film us working the hive and they said they would put it up on their site and give a copy to the local tv stations hoping they will run it for some publicity for our event. Normally we get about 100-300 regulars every second Saturday but we are hoping the publicity will be able to double that.

One of the hives looks like it had already swarmed. It has fewer bees and they are not as irritable as they were before when they were getting crowded. We added supers on the brood boxes to give them more room, but we knew this one hive was still probably going to swarm anyway. The weak hive looks better with more bees and now that is has a new cover that isn't leaking it may be able to be more hygenic in cleaning out the chalk brood.

The honey boxes we put out after the harvest are almost full now and they have started to cap them. We will need to put on new supers on 3 out of 4 hives in the next couple of weeks or the boxes will be full. We may have enough to harvest again next month. All we have is new foundation and that will take longer since they have to draw out the comb. I collected some wax from the burr comb today and I have wax left from the last harvest. I have to clean and filter it and use it to coat the plastic foundations on the new supers since the bees have been reluctant to build on the plastic foundations.

Everything looks good. We have a lot of bees, we saw a lot of drones and drone brood as well as a good brood pattern. No beetles running around and the weak hive looks like it is needing another box so it is recovering. If we can get another cover and more supers and we catch a swarm, we will be able to get our other hive up and running again. People have been catching swarms a lot in the last month, so it has been an active swarm season.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ctahr/set ... 520229254/

imafan26
Mod

Yesterday we harvested honey from 4 supers. One of the hives has already started to cluster and the others were looking honey bound so we harvested the supers off 3 out of 4 hives and put them away for now. The brood boxes still have room to store more honey and brood and fewer boxes will make it easier for the bees to defend when their numbers start to decrease. If we leave the honey, the hive beetles will go after it. One of the hives looked to be honey bound a couple of weeks before with an empty super, but this time it looks like they moved up and are putting honey in the super and the brood honey has been eaten. We did leave the super on that one.
One hive may be in trouble. It looked like it may have requeened but we still don't see any larvae although there are still a lot of bees.
We need to treat the hives with MAQ's since our varoa count was about 10. We don't know if we can get another queen this late in the year. It is getting cooler so hopefully we won't lose any other queens.
In Hawaii, our bees do slow down but they do still forage on good days and there will be something blooming all year. I am going to try to plant out some buckwheat and quinoa and a few more herbs now that it is cooler. That will give the bees more forage and maybe some holy basil since the bees like the basil flowers and they are resistant to downy mildew I have some seedling in the nursery now.

applestar
Mod

What fun! How much quantity do/did you end up with after filtering and processing? Is it part of your tasks to put them in jars as well?

I can't remember if you said the gardeners who are part of the project get a share of the honey. I would be so proud even if my share was a tiny sample jar. :D

Do you label the jars and sell them for fund/awareness raising?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I would love to have a couple hives and it would be good for our fruit trees. Not sure it will happen in 2018, though. It would be so amazing to hold in my hands a jar of honey my bees made and I processed.

One year my church in Cincinnati did maple sugaring, tapping the trees in our property. We spent most of a day boiling down the sap over an open fire. We each got a pint jar of the syrup and it was wonderful!

Return to “Beekeeping”