AndrewH
Newly Registered

Experiences in Keeping Honeybees in an Organic Garden?

I'm new to gardening and am thinking about keeping bees to improve the growth of flowers and vegetables without the use of fertilizers. I'm surprised at how little crossover there seems to be between organic gardening and beekeeping. Do any of you have experiences either positive or negative with keeping a hive in your garden?

webmaster
Site Admin

I have a friend who does it on his urban farm. There was a hive on his property when he moved in and was advised by a bee expert that it would be beneficial to keep it. So he built some enclosures for them and they settled in. I've never noticed the bees when I visit, so it's not like the place is overrun. In fact, I can't recall ever being bothered by them, even when we were over for parties and we're eating food in the backyard.

applestar
Mod

I was recently talking with a local lavender farm/bee keeper and mentioned to her that I was interested in beekeeping. She advised that if I'm serious about this, I should check the local zoning regulations because beekeeping is sometimes not allowed. She mentioned a county in northern NJ where it took someone 3 years (I think) to get approval, even though she lives on a large, multi-acre property, and even then, has to get her set up regularly inspected by some agency -- animal control maybe?

Needless to say, some :shock: and :roll: took place during this conversation.

She also said that she would really recommend taking a beekeeping class at Rugers U. (by the state ag. extension department in NJ) because some students will take the classroom lessons with great intentions and expectations, then when the hand-on part of actually handling the bees comes around, inevitably, a % of the class will step back and say they "just can't do it." So do find out if your state ag extension dept. offers beekeeping classes.

harrystyris
Newly Registered

Hi Andrew This is Harry.
I think your idea is quite good. I would suggest you that It is also good idea to an area of your garden with a some wild kind of flowers growing, and some dense foliage. This may look little bit worst but it will keep somewhat protecting our garden.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have a good friend who is an organic gardener and beekeeper, on a large city lot with neighbors near by. She hasn't had any trouble and her garden is wonderful! But she is retired and does her gardening/ beekeeping full time. She has a full suit of bee keeper wear and other equipment for it.

I would love to do it someday, but in the meantime, not being retired and being required to go to work more days than I really like, it seems a bit more than I can take on.

AndrewH
Newly Registered

I think I have enough space on a quarter acre property, but I hadn't considered Marlingardener's point about what to do as the bees multiply and need more room. I think I need to get better educated on this :lol:

Return to “Beekeeping”