I♥Bee's
Newly Registered

What do Mason Bees Eat?

Hello!

I was wondering if any one knows....what Mason Bees eat?
sorry if it seems dumb thing to ask I just honestly don't know.

well thanks....

From ILoveBee's.
:D 8) :lol:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

They're pollinators, like honeybees and bumblebees. However, mason bees adapt to native plants as well as cultivated plants, unlike honeybees, who seem to be more dependent on cultivated plants.

Or is it that we, the cultivators of plants, are more dependent on them?

In any case, an online search will turn up mason bee "homes" which can be installed to encourage them to take up housekeeping in your garden/yard.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

LazyGirl
Cool Member

Cynthia - when you say that they are pollinators, does that mean they do not eat when they are in the adult stage? I was able to find food references for mason bees in the larval stage, but not the adult stage.

I would like to know myself what the bees eat. Is it enough to provide flowers that have pollen or do they also need to provide nectar as a food source for the bees?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Did a bit of digging on the web and found references in a couple of sources that refer to nectar as serving energy needs of the bees. Also said both nectar and pollen are used to supply nests for the young.

Here is what one article says:

"Similarly to honeybees, Orchard Mason Bees gather nectar in their ‘honey sac’ while foraging. The nectar is used as energy source and to provision the tubular nest.

Unlike honeybees, Orchard Mason Bees do not have specially modified hind legs called corbicula to store and carry pollen. Instead, pollen is packed underneath rows of stiff hairs called scopa under the abdomen."

https://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/apiculture/factsheets/506_osmia.htm

This second article is really informative, also mentions favorite food sources.

"Females mate soon after emerging, then begin nesting in 3 to 4 days. The bees forage on a number of different flowers. In wooded areas, they seem to prefer ballhead waterleaf. In urban areas, dandelion and Oregon grape are commonly visited, in addition to cherries and apples."

https://gardening.wsu.edu/library/inse006/inse006.htm

Many small bees visit our yard. Many look like miniature bumblebees. Are those likely to be Mason bees? We have several dead trees and and old barn with lots of cavities that should provide shelter and nesting sites for these bees. I notice large amounts of activity on the breath of spring and blue berry bushes in early to mid spring. We also have a pretty good crop of dandelions. Our yard back up to a forest area, and that transition of woods to open area probably works to our advantage of attracting many different species here.

I noticed in one article that you can easily build nesting cavities by taking a pine or fir block and drilling nesting chambers in it. I think I'll make a couple this week.

"The native eastern species of Orchard Mason Bee will nest in holes drilled in a wooden block. Untreated 4" x 6" lumber works great. Holes can be drilled in the wood on 3/4 inch centers. They should be 4-8" deep (depending upon the size lumber used), smooth, and a 5/16" diameter hole is important"

https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Other/note109/note109.html

catherine2551
Newly Registered

Hi There,

I am very sure that mason bees eat pollen

:lol:

Return to “Beekeeping”