rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: what kind of chickens?

So in December they gradually tapered off how many eggs they gave us. In Feb, they have been gradually building up how many eggs. We were reliably getting an egg every day, then two. Yesterday we had our first four egg day, so we have four hens now laying, but not every day. Today we got two. But we are so happy to be getting eggs again! :) And our dozens are so pretty, with brown eggs, light tan eggs, and one hen that lays blue eggs.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

A couple days ago, we had our first five egg day, from our six hens. They will soon be back to peak production. Each hen lays five or six eggs a week, so it always was rare for us to to get six eggs in a day. Sometimes four, sometimes six, most often five.

We have already given two and a half of our beautiful dozens of eggs away. We love our backyard chickens :)

applestar
Mod

Last week I offered to give some vegetable plant starts to the owner of my DD’s music school where she has her piano lessons. He got his wife on the phone and we spoke, and she said she will have the owner bring me a couple of her spaghetti squash from last fall that stored well over the winter.

This week I took a tray of plants for their garden, and in exchange, he gave me the squashes as well as a dozen multi-colored eggs from their chickens:

— I couldn’t get the color to show up in the photo very well, but the third egg from the left in the top row is a blue-green egg too .... :D

DarrenP

I'm looking at getting some Aracauna chickens down the track; they are a smaller breed (not bantam) that lay blue-green eggs. Also a good breed for our hot, dry climate.
Currently have 9 ISA Brown/Hyline crosses and 6 Light Sussex pullets almost at point of lay. We get 8-9 eggs a day most days, sharing with the neighbours and selling the odd dozen to passing tourists.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We have three Ameraucanas which are related. One of them lays a blue green egg. The other two lay light tan eggs, which is probably an indication that they weren't pure bred. The other three are buff orpingtons which lay large to extra large brown eggs.

Since they got well going in the spring, they have been crazy productive. We've been getting five or six eggs per hen per week, week in and week out for months now. We eat eggs, we sell some, we give some away ...

Return to “Chickens/Ducks, Goats, and other Livestock”