Seananers

to get ducklings or not to get ducklings?

My me and my mother have a thing for farm birds and she wanted to get some ducklings. but I really don't think it is the right time for us to do that considering it's pretty cold where we live right now (the highest temp for the past few days has been between 44-39 :!: ). but we do have a big yard, pond, and a big insulated shed to keep them in. I just don't know if she should get them or not. :|

tomc
Super Green Thumb

If you want to Sandhill Preservation Project, they are pretty clear that they do not ship chicks of any specie till spring. I would guess they are not alone.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Check your zoning first to make sure you can have them where you live. It is heartbreaking to raise the birds and nurture them for years only to have someone call zoning and make you get rid of them.

If you are allowed to have livestock then you'll have to wait until spring to buy ducklings. Some breeds are seasonal layers and don't lay in winter. But come spring they will be available everywhere. Tractor Supply usually has ducklings in spring, they'll be advertised on craigslist and there will be a few livestock sales and swap meets near your area. While you are waiting for spring you will have time to set up a brooder area for ducklings and a small predator proof pen them once they grow out of the baby stage.

And you need to decide what breed you want to get. There are so many breeds you will have a hard time choosing one. But you will surely enjoy your little flock. If you can spend a lot of time playing with them and handling them when they are small they will be easier to care for when they get older.

Seananers

ButterflyLady29 wrote:Check your zoning first to make sure you can have them where you live. It is heartbreaking to raise the birds and nurture them for years only to have someone call zoning and make you get rid of them.

If you are allowed to have livestock then you'll have to wait until spring to buy ducklings. Some breeds are seasonal layers and don't lay in winter. But come spring they will be available everywhere. Tractor Supply usually has ducklings in spring, they'll be advertised on craigslist and there will be a few livestock sales and swap meets near your area. While you are waiting for spring you will have time to set up a brooder area for ducklings and a small predator proof pen them once they grow out of the baby stage.

And you need to decide what breed you want to get. There are so many breeds you will have a hard time choosing one. But you will surely enjoy your little flock. If you can spend a lot of time playing with them and handling them when they are small they will be easier to care for when they get older.
Most likely We will get some standard mallards. Also if it helps, Zoning says that a small group (I.e. 3-4) of any small farm foul is allowed if you have enough room to house the chosen number of foul. And playing with them shouldn't be much of a problem considering I spend most of my day hanging out with my best animal buds anyway :lol: . hehe I have no life -_-

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

we are planning to get some chickens in the spring! :D

Seananers

rainbowgardener wrote:we are planning to get some chickens in the spring! :D
What breed?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Still looking into that... we just want 3-4 hens to lay eggs.

Return to “Chickens/Ducks, Goats, and other Livestock”