Detral

Chicken run under deck?

Very new to this but doing some planning to get chickens next year. We would like 3-4.

We have a large back deck (11'x30') and are wondering about doing a chicken run under it, with the hen house at the side. The reasons are it is very cheap and easy, and would give them a large space without taking up our yard. We have snow on the ground oct-apr so this would also be a dry place.

With only 3-4 would it smell sitting on the deck? The house would not be under.

Do chickens tend to poop in their run or mainly in their house? Wondering if I would need to put something down and clean out this space regularly.

Right now it's on a slope but could be somewhat leveled. The slope right now Makes the height 3' (wall side) to 6' (open side). Do they like slopes at all or should we level it flat? I think we will still need some drainage sloping.

If I have a door to their house is it feasible they would go in there at night and I could shut them in to prevent laying under the deck?
Any other advice or ideas are appreciated! There is sunlight down there. I'll try to post a picture in the comments, it won't upload on here.
Last edited by Detral on Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Detral

Picture of space
Attachments
image.jpeg

Return to “Chickens/Ducks, Goats, and other Livestock”