marty9930

Ducks not laying eggs...ideas?

Hello everyone,

We recently acquired a small flock of ducks (10) and we greatly enjoy watching them free-range across our yard and splashing around in the kiddie pool. However, the females stopped laying eggs after we got them. Since the purpose of getting these ducks was getting eggs, now we're perplexed as to what to do.

Our flock:
2 male mallards
6 female mallards
2 female blue swedish

We think maybe one reason might be that we aren't feeding them enough. Currently we give them about 1/4 cup (2-3 ounces) of pellets per duck per day, and they also free range the entire day. We originally had 2 more male mallards and got rid of them because we thought they might be harassing the females, but it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. Should we be keeping them cooped up at night? If anyone can shed some light on how we can get our ducks in a row :) we would really appreciate it!!

marty9930

Thanks for the tips!

Yes, we bought them off of craigslist, about a month ago, and they were laying when we got them. Then they stopped a couple of days after we got them and haven't laid any eggs since. They are very healthy, eat alot, have shiny coats, etc.

It was very hot at the time, about 105 every day, but this week it has cooled down to the 80s. The odd thing is that they were laying at the previous owner's residence.

The ducks are so social and fun, fortunately we don't have a predator problem.

imafan26
Mod

It is probably the heat and the change. They probably need time to settle in. If they are like most birds they want a safe place to raise their brood so they need to feel that they have a secure nesting place. Although, I know some ducks and hens that will lay their egg right on the sidewalk and walk away while others fiercely guard their eggs.

If you are letting them free range they may be laying eggs out in the field.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I have found when mine free range about the yard. They spent more energy running around then putting into eggs, so their production went down. I keep mine now in a fenced in area and do lock them up at night because of predators. Like others have said, they will lay other places when free ranging especially if they are not use to your duck or hen house.

Also here our days are getting shorter and at the beginning of October I start adding light in there hen house. Not sure if you have shorter days like we do. They need 12 to 14 hours of light to lay.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Oh, I forgot to add that my chickens usually go through a molt this time of year if the chickens are over a year. They will quit laying for 6 weeks to 3 months sometimes. I know ducks molt but I am not sure for how long and when. Just another thought.

Stefano

Me too I agree with Sweetiepie, in fact in this time of year also my hens lay less eggs than usual a cause of the molt. Then if in meantime you change also the environment the effects are added.

marty9930

WE HAVE AN EGG!! The weather cooled down, we got them into a routine, we started cooping them up at night, we feed them twice a day (10 ducks = 1.5 lbs of food)...all the elements are finally in place :)

Return to “Chickens/Ducks, Goats, and other Livestock”