WiredEek
Newly Registered

3 birds dead in 3 days

We had 3 roan ducklings and 3 grey toulouse goslings who would wander around together. One duckling disappeared about a week ago. A second duckling went missing three days ago. Yesterday, we found the head of one of the goslings. Today, I found a hen in the coop with her neck snapped. What eats birds? Our dog could have eaten the ducklings and gosling, but the hen was safe in the coop.
For now, the surviving birds are penned up, but I'm worried about what might be out there.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow... so sorry! The ducklings could have been killed by raccoons, but I am not sure they would take on a hen, especially inside the coop. Coyotes are around a lot more places than they used to be (including in cities like mine) and would easily kill a chicken. Could a coyote have gotten to it? I don't know what your coop is like. Snakes could get in, but they probably wouldn't "snap" its neck. Do you have hawks, eagles, or great horned owls where you are? Could a large bird like that have gotten it and then not been able to carry it away?

Being inside the coop makes it kind of a mystery.

Boil 2 litres of water with 2 Tablespoons of Cayenne Pepper, I Teaspoon of Black Pepper, 2 Tablespoons Cloves and 3 Tablespoons of Cinnamon.

Buy all in bulk cheaply from your local spice store like bin inn.

Boil for 10 minutes.

Take off heat. let cool a little bit but keep warm/to hot.

Pour into 25 litres mix well

Filter well by pouring through a fine cloth , put in a 25 litre sprayer with 1 litre of your own urine included and spray hens, chicks and entire surface area of the hen house and 5 metres around the perimeter.

The pests will learn with one application for one generation , repeat every 5-6 months if problem occurs.

Cheers

Return to “Chickens/Ducks, Goats, and other Livestock”