webmaster
Site Admin

Ducks & Chickens - Who Cares for Them When on Vacation?

I saw that someone near me is seeking someone to come let their ducks in and out of their enclosures in the morning and back inside in the evening while they're away on vacation.

So I was wondering, how do you manage your ducks and chickens and other livestock when you're on vacation?

imafan26
Mod

There are actually house sitters or pet sitters who will do those things for you. They come in once or twice a day feed the pets, air out the house, water the plants. House sitters actually live in your house while you are gone so the house isn't empty.

If you have more than a couple of pets, it can cost you less than putting them in a kennel or cattery at the vet's. It is less stressful for them to be able to stay in their own house.

In the city most people don't have too many exotic pets, mostly cats, dogs, and birds. I do know people who have pet pigs. My aunt had a couple of cows. They were her lawn mowers. She never really went anywhere though.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

We have a close friend and trade off house sitting duties. We rarely vacation for longer than 3-4 days and during those times, the chickens stay in the coop which is a roomy 10 feet by 24 feet. The automatic feeder and waterer lasts for at least that long. All he has to do is check on them daily and harvest the eggs for his effort. He also feeds the dogs.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

We went on a Sunday to Sunday cruise the first week of April. I hired my 14 year old neighbor to come in twice a day to feed my 2 cats, (Daisy Faye and Sallie Sue) scoop their boxes, play with them in the afternoon, pick up the mail daily and water the patio plants once. I paid her $100 and brought her a present - a pretty silver, mother-of-pearl bracelet. Total cost $115. She was thrilled, my cats were happy and the house did not stink from cat poop.

When I paid Anna her Dad took me aside and told me I had paid her to much. I told him that she had earned every penny. The peace of mind knowing that my girls were being cared for and played with was worth the $.

Last week Anna came by to show me the outfits she purchased with her earned money! I have such great neighbors!

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Ducks and chickens are free range. I just tell neighbors to listen for disturbances. But, we don't go on vacation, just fishing, or out for the evening. If we must be gone overnight, we never both go, we take turns so that one of us is here to take care of the milking and other animals.

Return to “Chickens/Ducks, Goats, and other Livestock”