valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Angora mites

Greetings, Ever found anything to get rid of those Red Mites common to Angora Goats? Permanently?

Richard

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Are these actual mites or sheep keds?

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings, No, they are much smaller,like red dots. I've seen what you're talking about on deer. Thanks.

Richard

applestar
Mod

I honestly really have no idea, but I was wondering if there are predatorial mites that eat the ones you are talking about too... But then would you WANT a different bug -albeit harmless to the host- all over the animal?

applestar
Mod

OK, so I was thinking along the lines that similar to plant mites, if you use chemicals or other substances that kill the pest mites, it will kill the predators, too. Then started wondering what exactly are natural predators of something as tiny as mites.

That thought led to a website that described fungi and Bt as possible solutions (not yet commercially available)... So then I was thinking OK micro organisms.... And began to wonder about use of EM-1 (usually associated with the primary beneficial ("effective") micro organism to make Bokashi) to benefit livestock. Info-marketing videos I have seen on-line include wholesale spraying of cows, pigs and chickens in their habitats. So why not goats? Casually looked but it's too late now for me to do any intensive search. Just an idea to kick around. 8) :wink:

Return to “Chickens/Ducks, Goats, and other Livestock”