grovestead
Newly Registered

Goats for woodlots?

I have about 3.5 wooded acres on my recently acquired property and the previous owner hasn't done much maintenance. It is part of an Oak Savannah but the maple and boxelder saplings dominate the floor. There is also a buckthorne infestation.

I have read about, and had a few people confirm that goats work great clearing out the underbrush. My thought was to get a couple goats this spring and let them roam the wooded portions all summer. The wooded area is fenced but needs repairs.

Does this make sense? Or is it more work than its worth?

The alternate to goats would be manpower (chainsaw) and as with every farm that is the most scarce resource.

Thanks!

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Yah, give the goats a try, is the area fenced?

Richard

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

You mention that the fence needs repair... Goats would need shelter, water, and those fences in good repair. I don't know how brushy it is, but possibly if really overgrown, it would take more than two goats to clear it in one summer.

Also, consider the breed of goat, meat goats, or mixed breed "bush" goats would be best, dairy goats require more maintainance.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Now In this post I am the opposition. Goats graze one leaf at a time. and the next best leaf is on the other side of the fence. Finding a goat standing on my bonsai bench, evokes murderous intent. (in me at least).

If you have neighbors with orchards or gardens, and don't have fence six or more feet tall & in good repair, your going to end up with unhappy neighbors.

valley
Greener Thumb

Yes! by all means goats should have shelter, water and a proper fence in good repair. That's a given. Sorry I didn't mention that.

Also there should be growing on the property plants they can eat. People say goats eat anything, that we haven't found to be true. Cows seem to eat things goats won't touch.

Richard

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I no longer have my elderberry patch, black berry patch, roses, bamboo, and various other plantings: guess where it went?

My fences simply don't hold my goats, guests are warned, stay with your vehicle, or it will get walked on... shut the doors on your car, or goats will get inside.. I usually just go pick up guests and leave their vehicles some distance away! My dairy goats can walk up to most fences, and in the blink of an eye sail right over the top of it... The older, heavier goats do not seem to jump like the young ones, but don't underestimate them, they can do it, if they really, truly want to.

Goats are very picky eaters, no they won't eat tin cans... only starving animals will eat any and everything, and that sometimes to the detriment of the animal.

My goats love roof topsl, and are often seen running and jumping atop all the outbuildings, vehicles, etc... height is not an issue.

I love my goats, but they do have "issues" that a person should know about before you take that goat home...
My worst jumpers are held in a small 8 foot high enclosure.

Correct, that neighbors may become hostile... wouldn't you if they ate your prized plant? It is bad enough when the deer get it, but if your goats did it... you will become the target of their wrath!!

Maybe, it would be better to hire a bush-hog to clean the area?

valley
Greener Thumb

We surrounded everything we wanted to keep with an Electric Fence one-two or three strand, nether the goats or cows will touch anything protected by the charger.

Richard

Return to “Chickens/Ducks, Goats, and other Livestock”