hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Home Mixed Chicken Feed Recipes?

Is anyone using a home mixed chicken feed recipe that you are willing to share as well as where various components can be bought? I did some searching on the web, but recipes are all over the map and most all include one or more ingredient that either is foreign to me, or wouldn't know where to buy it locally.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings, With our adult chickens and ducks we feed Scratch. We used give Flock Raiser, they do lay a bit better on that but is gets to be quite an expense. Scratch works great, they need a bit of grit with the grain unless they can pick it up on the ground. If gravel can be found around you can through some in for them, you know grit size.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Thanks. I'm leaning toward a mix of scratch, layer feed, kitchen scraps, and forage. But will plant grains and raise earthworms for them to graze, so that forage is higher quality wit more protein than of the limited vegetation on the plot. I was wondering how necessary these scientific diets are for chickens, after it is not exactly what my grandparents used to feed them. My grandparents seemed to always get plenty of eggs, and they also lived into late 80's and 90's, so the eggs must have been pretty decent quality.

Return to “Chickens/Ducks, Goats, and other Livestock”