GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Suddenly broody chicken

Here's a question for anyone on here ho has chickens or has experience with them. Do chickens just become broody out of the blue? Or is it something they always do if they are going to do it?

One of my hens seems to be in the coop all the time now. In the nesting box sitting on an egg, and I always have to use a stick to get the egg because she doesn't seem to want me to get at it. Today I actually forced her out of the nesting box because I wanted to get a loser look because I was afraid she was getting sick. When I nudged her out to the more open part of the coop she just sat there, head lowered, butt higher and fluffed out. And she seems to have a different, constant, lower pitched cluck than normal.

I have also noticed in this time that my other hens seem to have stopped laying. For the last few days anyway. But I have been leaving the coop open to my yard 24/7 so they may all be laying somewhere out in the yard. But I have yet to find where, and I have done some pretty good looking. Including a corner of the yard where they always seem to be when I come through the gate.

Any ideas about the new behavior?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

At least you don't need to invest in scuba gear. At times ducks will drop in the pond. :x

Eric

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

My yard isn't that big, I would think I'd be able to find them. I went back out with the help of a 5 year old and still no luck. I'm thinking that because our weather has gotten quite a bit cooler and days are shortening I may need to put a light back in the coop. It may have triggered egg production to stop for the season and/or molting. I really don't think there are eggs in the yard. There just aren't that many places to hide.

After reading more I do believe she is just getting broody. Some things I read say you can separate her for a while until it stops and she starts laying. Keeping her on a mesh-bottom nest so that she can't get it to stay warm. Interesting idea.

Eric, that's funny but I feel for you as well. I look forward to every single egg! I hate it when something happens that makes one useless or unsafe to eat. It feels like such a waste!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Either she's gone broody, or is eggbound, and will shortly explode.

My guess is its one or t'other.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I have heard of being egg bound. She didn't look swollen or anything back there.....and she did have it promptly on display for me...I'd rather not go there if I don't have to. Besides, I haven't looked closely enough to see which vent is which lol.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Only one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGkaEvCEKLg

Eric

GreenPaul
Newly Registered

Why will chicken become egg-bound? Are there some external reasons like cuts or debris stuck in the vent or it's common physical disorder?

applestar
Mod

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Only one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGkaEvCEKLg

Eric
That was a funny video, more so because the older guy is so familiar and comfortable about holding the chickens -- the younger guy got in trouble so he just automatically tucked the 2nd chicken under his arm to hold both birds in one arm and free up his other hand. :lol:

Nothing like getting hands-on lessons. :wink:

GreenPaul
Newly Registered

And any hen immediately what..? :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I check each of our hens once a week, and any hen who acts abnormal, immediately

applestar
Mod

Ah. Marlingardener, I'm guessing you would also be able to automatically tuck a chicken under your arm to free up your hands when necessary. :wink:

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I'm not tucking a chicken anywhere....let alone hold one for too long. They are pretty indiscriminatory (if that's a word) about where they poop, and I'd rather it not be on me.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I mean I'm not afraid of getting dirty...just avoid getting $H!T on if I can lol. Not ONLY by chickens, but by life in general. Every day is a tiny victory. :lol:

GreenThumbsUp
Newly Registered

I hate broody hens!
If she's an older girl it might be time.... I feel like older broody hens put the entire flock at risk since they poo in the roost boxes which can spread diseases.
If she's still quite young and not eggbound, I'd put her in isolation until the behavior stops.
when it comes to chickens, I play it safe

Return to “Chickens/Ducks, Goats, and other Livestock”