GardenRN
Greener Thumb

First eggs from the chickens

We've gotten our first 4 eggs over the last 5 days from one of our 4 hens. All from the same hen. It's funny how now that she's laying she acts totally different. She makes different noises, follows me around in the yard, and even lets me pet her. Whereas the other hens don't want anything to do with me still, weird.

I ate two of the eggs, and I'm saving the rest till I have enough for the whole family. No real noticeable taste difference I didn't think, but the yolks are way more orange instead of yellow, and I think they took a little longer to cook. I cooked em the same as I always cook eggs but they were a bit runnier than I usually leave em on the white part. Still very good :) Now if the other 3 would just start laying we'll REALLY be in business!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Are you handing out cigars Papa?

:cry: Tears of joy.

Eric

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Are you handing out cigars Papa?

:cry: Tears of joy.

Eric
I was kind of hoping he was handing out eggs! :lol:

Congrats though nothing better than a breakfast of fresh eggs and ______ (add your favorite fresh pork product here).

My mouth is watering.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:Well, hallelujah! After a few weeks of real eggs, the store-bought won't look or taste as good as your very own hens' eggs. Be sure to praise her, and hold her up as a example for the others.
Congratulations!
Ha, actually, as I closed up the coop the other day, head bowed in disappointment that yet another day had gone by without the first egg, I looked into the run where they were hanging out and said, "You better get busy you lazy (B-words)". And they all looked up at me.....then I saw the first egg, down in the run instead of up in the nesting box where a plastic golf ball had been sitting for a week to tr to spur them into action. Luckily, since then she has layed all of them in the nesting boxes. [/b]

applestar
Mod

:mrgreen: So envious! I wish I could keep chickens. (stupid township rules.... :? )

Lianne

mmm nothing beats those fresh eggs! my mom used to collect all different kinds of hens, so we'd have eggs of all different shapes, sizes, and colors. I'd like to have a back yard chicken at my house now, but I'm not sure our city allows it, OR my boyfriend would be into it. ha. :\

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I could legally raise chickens in my back yard. Considering that I only have 1/3 acre with house, shop, driveway, carport and patio there is not whole lot of free space in the back yard. I would have to build a coop and fence in an area that the chicks would defoliate in no time - plus the smell issue. Can't do that to my neighbors on 3 sides. I grew up on a narrow, long acre of land. When I was young it was surrounded by fields and woods. Over the years it became subdivisions. But there was enough of a buffer zone for Dad to raise chickens (ducks, quail, and guinea fowl). NOTHING better than fresh eggs. As for the birds OMG - you can actually brown the meat and the flavor is not comparable to anything you buy. I keep telling George that I want to move to the country. I want to raise chickens, a pig, lambs, and maybe even a cow with a calf. Not to mention my dream of having an organic garden to sell produce to local restaurants and a cut flower garden.

Sigh - land is so expensive in Lafayette parish and the surrounding parishes that my dream will never be fullfilled unless we win the PowerBall. Yeah - right. I can still dream.

We have friends who live in the country - like in the middle of rice fields. They raise chickens and guuinea fowl. They give us eggs. Love those fresh eggs.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Oh my -I was not suggesting an un-kept coop. When you are in close proximaty to neighbors scooped poop even into a compost pile will become offensive. Not to mention that the back yard is really not large enough to house chickens and provide them with a decent "run". Just wishful thinking. Still want to move to "the country". I would be happy with 5 acres but would love 35 - 50 acres of mixed land - fields, woods, stream (coulee/bayou) bottom land. Sigh - I just keep dreaming - maybe someday.

LA47
Green Thumb

Years ago I kept a dozen hens and 1 happy rooster. I kept them in a heated hen house in the winter but let them have the run of our 7 acre place. I never fenced them out of the garden or yard and the only problem (?) I had was you really checked the grass if you wanted to sit down. :) I never had a problem with them scratching up my veggy garden seeds or seedlings or doing damage to any of the plants. I did notice I didn't have many potato bugs, or any other bugs in the garden after I got them, the ducks, and guinea hens. :D Now all the books say keep to them penned up but way back then I never read what to do I just asked the couple next door. The were in their 70's, 40 years ago and raise 6 kids during the depression, so I figured they knew what they were talking about.

Return to “Chickens/Ducks, Goats, and other Livestock”