Texas.girl
Cool Member

Cats Say No To Catnip, Chickens Say Yummy!

I grew a huge pot of catnip for my two outdoor mousers. They have totally ignored it. So I took some down to a neighbor cat’s, who also ignored the catnip. Another neighbor took some of the catnip for her cats, who also ignored it, but her chickens love the stuff and gobbled it right up. Go Figure :lol:

thurkun

Let me start by saying I have had and still have many cats and with cats some love catnip and others won't stroll across the yard to eat it. I have two plots of catnip and catmint for the feline monsters that are about a yard square each, it is not enough for the 7 or so cats that are addicts. They eat, roll in, romp in and sleep in the beds until it looks like you've taken a lawn mower to the poor mint. If the chickens leave you some nip, it makes a nice tea.
Pat

soil
Greener Thumb

I like the catnip myself, the cat and chickens can go find something else.

Texas.girl
Cool Member

What do you do with it?

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Have to add my catnip story. I have 2 pots, 3 plants each. Something not going great, as they are, well, not great. Changed up a couple of things, and maybe OK. 3 wks ago had a couple bunches at the Farmers Market. A young lady got one, so excited for her Puff Fluff Buddies. Came back next week, I didn't have any. So last Saturday had a bunch, put on back of table. Wouldn't you know, a customer saw and bought it! Then she came by and I wanted to cry! I did get one bunch picked and will put it further back, just for her and her Puff Fluff Buddies.

BTW, she gives them 1-2 leaves at a time. Not sure if effect is crack or stoned, but they are happy!

Texas.girl
Cool Member

Glad someone's kitties love it but mine and my neighbors clearly could care less. This is the first time and the last time I am going to bother growing the stuff. I have a huge pot full of plants and only the neighbors chickens care. The deer, rabbits, etc. are not even touching the stuff and I am in a severe drought and it seems every green thing out there, including my baby rhubarb and yucca plants have gotten eaten up, but they are leaving the catnip alone. This has been a very interesting gardening year.

Return to “Chickens/Ducks, Goats, and other Livestock”