runfox
Cool Member

Thanks all, well I can train the dogs to leave the chickens alone eventually, but it will take work as the dogs are mature and I don't have the chickens yet, so I wil have to wait until the chickens grow to full size to be able to peck for themselves first.

Main thing I was wondering about and you all answered, cant let the chickens into garden. Not even before fruits appear on the plants huh? I was thinking if I had any bug problems in the garden the chickens could help, but I guess they might do more harm than good.

crobi13

Ozark Lady wrote:Ticks are an issue here, so the chickens have priority.
Without chickens we would be housebound.

I am already eating fresh country free range eggs! And no ticks...

Does that mean that indirectly I am eating the ticks instead of them eating me?
Do ticks bite chickens or do the chickens eat the ticks? I have chickens and I'm just geting ready to put them outside for the first time. I never thought about ticks being a pest that I would have to worry about. :?

mrsgreenthumbs

I would think both. Ticks get on bird's all the time, same with mite's. But the chicken should be able to pick it off and snack on it... (gulp, gross) unless it's somewhere she can't reach like the back of her head. That's what sister's are for ;).

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

The chickens will eat them.

We had an infestation of fleas at one house, not here..
And ticks were really bad.
We used poisons, and I promise it was like eggs were in the bags, they got worse and worse. We were housebound.
We got some chickens, within hours the fleas and ticks were gone around the house.
Early the next morning our dog had killed every chicken.
Dog was a good dog, so we gave him to farmers without chickens.
And got some more chickens.
The chickens would go lay in the flea areas, and roll around, getting fleas on themselves, and then they would snack off of each other... funny to watch them.
My dogs lie down and the chickens walk all over them, eating every flea and tick they can find.
Chicken mites are handled by a bag of diatomaceous earth, just put in a box, where chickens can roll in it and dust themselves.

joshbuchan

chicken :D were to start, they make me laght ay!

my silkies eat anything, cooked/raw carrots, cooked,raw potatos, pasta, rice, hole tomatos, cucimba ect and anything crawling they can get there hands on but they dnt like slugs, my marans and warrans fight for slugs and chase eachother around there pen trying to woof it down, my legbars dnt eat much, pellet, bread, pasta and lettis thats abouth it nothing living :evil:

once I seen a mouse rune across the pen and fide under the fence, well his tail was hanging out and I tossed a bit of bread over but my big maran (shes the boss) ran over and ate the bit of bread then she seen his tail and must of fort it was a worm, well she picked up his tai to find there was a mouse on the end of it, knowing the rest they run over so she runs of still with a mouse hanging out of her beek sqeeling for his life, all after alot of fighting and a lot of laghting from my part the mouse got away un harmed but mentaly scared I bet. so yeah depending on the breed they will eat anything or only some things.

Return to “Chickens/Ducks, Goats, and other Livestock”