sbowers21
Newly Registered

Bell Pepper spots

Does any one know what causes brown spot on bell peppers? This is my 3rd year in a row to grow faulty bell peppers. The plant is healthy, dark green and loaded with pepers. It seems when they get about 1-1/2-2" diameter they develop a brown spot on them that gets bigger and seems to rot the pepper.

Roger

From the description I would suspect it could be blossom end rot. It's usually more common with tomatoes, but can affect eggplant and peppers as well.

This site has some information, if it is indeed blossom end rot:
[url]https://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/horticulture/blossom-rot.html[/url]

sbowers21
Newly Registered

I thought it might be that also, but the spots start out dark then turn a light brown and they start on the sides of the pepper, more towards the plant end of the pepper. I think blossom end rot would be at the bottom of the pepper.

Any other ideas?

pd

Do you grow them under glass. Are your peppers ever exposed to full sun when droplets of water are standing on the fruit. The are very succeptible to scorch.

sbowers21
Newly Registered

I do have a auto mist sprinker that sprays on them 3 days a week. The plants are in full sun about 6 hours a day and the sprinkler runs about at 10:00 am. They are not under grass.
I will try cutting off the mist sprinkler and use the soaker hose only and see if I can salvage the small ones.

Thanks for your help

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

sbowers21 wrote:I do have a auto mist sprinker that sprays on them 3 days a week. The plants are in full sun about 6 hours a day and the sprinkler runs about at 10:00 am. They are not under grass.
I will try cutting off the mist sprinkler and use the soaker hose only and see if I can salvage the small ones.

Thanks for your help
That's what I was going to suggest. Try not to get the plants wet, just the soil when watering. Good luck!

Return to “Pepper Forum”