Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Which pepper plants are short, need no stakes & peppers all turn red at once?

Look at this commercial grower video. Big fields of ALL ripe red peppers, short plants with no stakes to hold plants up.

Plants are loaded with all RED color peppers and NO Green peppers?

If I don't stake my peppers plants limbs get heavy and break off. If I don't pick red pepper as they change color green to red they develop rotted places. I would love to have pepper plants that need no stakes to hold them up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSiyh47JD_k
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.

imafan26
Mod

I don't know of any pepper that does not start off green or another color. I only see peppers that ripen to red. Most of my peppers do not ripen all at once, so I usually have peppers in different stages. I don't have to stake most of my hot peppers. Thai, super chili, Hawaiian chili will all stand upright even with a heavy pepper load. The plants with larger peppers like bells, anaheim, habanero, bullhorn peppers, etc will either lean on each other if they are planted close or may need staking to support the larger peppers.

The video in the link was of paprika peppers. They may have a way to ripen all of their peppers at once using a chemical. They used to do that here to the pineapple fields to ripen fruit faster. If the pepper plants are older, their branches are stronger and need less support. They will be taller unless they are cut back, which you would have to do with an older pepper to improve production.

Some peppers don't need that much support. That would depend on the variety. I have never had a bell pepper live very long and it has always needed support. I have never had a pepper that starts and ends red.

Return to “Pepper Forum”