ÆSIR
Newly Registered

What is this pepper?

I have this pepper growing from my bell pepper plants. Anyone know what kind it is and how it grew on this kind of plant? Or am I dumb and this is just a deformed bell pepper or something?

For those who do not want to look at the pic, it is a light green/almost yellowish clear color and looks like a jalapeño, yet it is a bell pepper plant....
Attachments
20230823_203537.jpg

imafan26
Mod

I think it is a separate plant growing next to it. If it is sweet, it may be a sweet banana.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

Both of those things are on the same plant? That is really strange. It's easy for peppers to cross, but I have never seen any totally different, like that, on the same plant - just a different size or color, or something like that.

ÆSIR
Newly Registered

It is from a different stem yes but it is 100% a bell pepper plant. I would've thought banana pepper too had I not planted it myself. Weird right? Trying to figure out what it is. My other bell pepper plants are also growing dark green peppers shaped just like the one in the picture, while also having a normal shaped bell pepper too

imafan26
Mod

If it is a hybrid, it is really unusual for the peppers on the same plant to be so different. If it is grafted, then yes it could do that.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Just to be absolutely sure, follow the stem very carefully down to the ground and see if there is another plant coming up independently from your bell plant. There may have been a stray seed that took root somehow. If not, you have a real puzzler.

ÆSIR
Newly Registered

They are two separate stems but seeds came from the same pack. You think it's a stray seed somehow?

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Yep! It does happen unfortunately. A bunch of years ago I swore I had a cherry tomato and a large tomato growing on the same plant. My old friend Carolyn admonished me to look closer. I had grown the large tomato from seed myself and a volunteer from the previous year grew right up next to the transplant. That was my second year of growing tomatoes from seed, missed the second plant, thought I had a rarity. Carolyn put me in my place. I promised I would be gentler if anything like that arised. Hope I caused no pain. I have been waiting 20 some odd years to give advise on the topic.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I had that happen with 2 varieties of tomatoes this year. I planted 2 of each, and totally different tomatoes came from one of each pair.

imafan26
Mod

Yes, and sometimes they send the wrong seed, but they usually make good on it and you still get to keep the mystery seeds. I have had seeds mislabled, but rarely have seeds been mixed in the same package.

I have had different peppers come up when I seeded a pepper that did not germinate and I over seeded with a different one resulting in the one I had given up on coming up along with the peppers I planted later.

ÆSIR
Newly Registered

Return to “Pepper Forum”