ApertureF11Sniper
Cool Member

Who is growing from seed?

I know this might be a seed forum thing but it is peppers.....I am for the first time this year growing from seed and am so excited. I have up 5 Jalapeno and 5 Poblano and 10 Sweet Banana. And maybe more when I check tomorrow morning!!!! So so so excited....

Is it unusual to name your pepper plants? Well I couldn't help it lol.... I am trying to be patient about the others coming up. Takes about 8 days right? The first ones I just did one seed per pocket but now I do like 5.

applestar
Mod

Peppers are not as accommodating as tomatoes or real easy ones like brassicas.

Earlier sprouting is possible with really fresh seeds saved from last season’s harvest, well-stored. But only with constant warmth. Otherwise and even with thermostatically controlled heat mat and covered starting trays, mine don’t get steady temperature, and I mostly expect about 10 to 14 days and give them as late as 21 to 28 days before giving up.

But I agree, there’s nothing like watching those seeds knuckle up with a little loop, and then unfurl their seedleaves, and grow from the weak tentative babies to waving their first true leaf.

imafan26
Mod

I grow most of my peppers from seed. I do buy some, but they are not that hard for me to start. If I wait for the night temperatures to be above 68 degrees consistently ( not happening yet) or 80 degrees consistently in the daytime for the super hots. If you have a short season, peppers take up to three months to get going, so you will have to start them early indoors. They can also be grown from cuttings.

I start my seeds outdoors on an open bench. I have more choices in varieties planting from seeds than I can get from the local nursery. I don't have to worry about frost, so if my peppers are perennial they will live over. The anuum species are usually annuals but the frustescens, bacatum and chinense can live over. Hawaiian chili and super chilie can live about 8 years. Some of the others 2-4 years.

Return to “Pepper Forum”