daniyalsm
Newly Registered

What is the problem with these Jalapeno plants (leaf curl)

Hello,

I started some Jalapeno plants in coconut coir and then transplanted them to soil when they were about 4 inches or so. I have noticed that some of these plants are having leaf curl issue. I did supplement calcium and it is only some of the plants that are displaying this issue. I also sprayed an insecticide recently. Could anyone guide me on what this issue is. Thanks.
Attachments
J1.jpeg
J2.jpeg
J3.jpeg

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

My pepper starts in the greenhouse seem to be a magnate for aphids.

Insecticides that require contact to be effective are difficult to use on aphids because they so often stay under leaves sucking plant juices. That feeding habit also makes them difficult to kill with something that requires that they eat the insecticide. An example is that Spinosad is supposed to work poorly.

A bug killer that dehydrates a pest has worked best for me. Insecticidal soap seems a little less likely to damage a young plant than, say Neem Oil. Still, one has to reach the bugs under the leaves with it. And, with small plants, rolling the leaves gently between finger & thumb will kill aphids without the use of any insecticide. If it's aphids, I hope that helps.

Steve

Prybar

I have no advice.
I'm too new at this.

However I just transplanted my seedlings into a dwc system on the 23rd.

And I'm seeing a little leaf curl myself.
That's why I had to take a look at this thread.

applestar
Mod

The leaf curls look like sucking pests.

Photos are not quite in focus, but I think I see white bits that could be molted aphid skins.

Are there ants hanging around?

But I think I’m also seeing the russetting/fuzziness and white dots that could mean mite infestation.

Try blasting the underside of plants every day with hose end or hand held sprayer.

imafan26
Mod

The leaf deformity does look like sucking pests. Mites, aphids, and thrips are the usual suspects. Aphids you will be able to see under the leaf. You can even spot whiteflies. However, pepper thrips usually cause the leaves to be folded, broad mites and spider mites are smaller and harder to spot. Thrips usually cause stippling not just deformity on the leaves.

If you don't see anything under the leaves or stippling then it is most likely mites. Horticultural oils or sulfur can control mites. But you can only pick one. They cannot be used within a month of each other or it will burn the plants. Hosing the undersides of the leaves with jets of water also helps to knock off the sucking pests. This becomes less of a problem when the rainy season comes. Pick off the deformed leaves, bag, seal, and trash. They won't get any better.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible ... eppers.htm

daniyalsm
Newly Registered

Thank you very much for all the helpful answers. I will treat accordingly.

Return to “Pepper Forum”