Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Pepper coming out of dormancy.

First time I've brought any peppers through winter. Now they're putting out shoots. I don't know how to train/prune at this point. Here's a picture of the most advanced one. Labels faded so I don't know the variety but it's probably Anaheim or Corno di Toro.
Pepper.jpg
Last edited by Vanisle_BC on Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

Looking good!

As you probably noticed, peppers go overboard with number of new sprouts per node.

So when they’re big enough to manipulate (or using tweezers sometimes or pushing at them with tip of a chopstick) start eliminating the shoots that are most obviously growing in the wrong direction — towards the stem for example.

Remember to bend the sprouted shoot in one direction, then the opposite direction so they snap off cleanly.

Leave 3 or 4 good candidates and ultimately stick with no more than 2.

General rule of pruning dictates you don’t keep a shoot growing straight up since those will grab the apex dominance.

Cull the lower trunk shoots to one or two per node and allow to grow a bit for chlorophyll production, but if they pose air flow obstruction or soil splash up fungal risks, start eliminating them from bottom up — ultimately, eliminate them all up to where you want the first lowest branch to be.

Once it becomes obvious that the upper most branches and tips have not reawakened, cut them back to good strong new shoots (sometimes uppermost sprouts are wimpy and can be pruned)

Initially, pinch off blossoms until good leaf growths have been mostly established and you think the plant can support fruit production.

Watch out for aphids and mites. If you see ants, suspect infestation. One of the reasons to keep extra sprouts and shoots is as back up in case of failure before you can get the structure established.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Thanks Applestar, for a very full reply as usual. I'm excited to see how well these overwintered peppers will perform. I'm unsure how/when to plant them out. I don't want to keep them in pots. Our frost season is over but we're having a wet & colder than normal spring; some days still 15C (56F) max.

Off-topic, here's a picture illustrating why you should be cautious about planting St John's Wort. It's a real thug with territorial ambitions. Makes me think of - oh sorry; no politics :P
St J. Wort.jpg

Return to “Pepper Forum”