ASpicyPepperKid

What the hottest pepper you have Eaten

Mine personally was a local grown orange habenero

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

This isn't scientific, by any means, but my method for testing how hot peppers are in comparison to others I've eaten, is to see how long I can chew it, before having to spit it out. The red Carolina Reaper is still the hottest, to me - I could only keep chewing a half of one (what we always do with these larger peppers), before having to get it out of my mouth. To put this in perspective, ghost peppers - the first superhot on the market, over a million Scoville units, lasted 42 seconds, and the others - Trinidad scorpion, Death Spiral, and the chocolate reaper, all were about the same - 38-45 sec. None nearly as hot as red reaper. Before these superhots, there was the Red Savina - over 500k - the hottest for years, and a friend and I kept chewing those over a minute, when we wanted to! Now, the chocolate habanero I grow is my hottest - about 400k, and incredibly flavorful and productive. I usually have one new superhot "just to see", and this year I'm growing seedlings for the red reaper again - a teenager I know wants to try it in his garden, just to try it. This should be funny.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Chiltipen pepper is the hottest I've ever eaten. It's very small, red and really sets your mouth on fire. My fingers felt like they were on fire after I saved seed from them; I was so stupid not to wear gloves.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

My friend that used to be in this area, and would eat all these peppers with me, back when Red Savinas were the hottest, tried the chiltepin the one year I grew it, and we thought it was the fastest hot pepper we had ever tried, and we only ate maybe 5 at a time, that first time. But I wanted to see how hot it was compared to the RS by weight, so we weighed some RS peppers, and took an average, divided by two, since we always ate halves, and figured we had to try 25 or 26 chiltepins at once, to equal the weight. After trying this (nobody else would join in, even those who ate the habaneros with us all the time), they realized we could chew them longer that the hottest habs, which were just slower to hit! So others tried a few, but couldn't believe how incredibly fast the heat would hit them!

I know, we were nuts back then. But then, some people still think that about me.

imafan26
Mod

Bhut Jolokia, ghost pepper, but I only had a tiny piece. It was still too hot.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My hottest was cayenne in soup. They are just FIRE hot with no flavor.

Last summer I learned habanero is not hot, only the vanes are hot. Cut away the vanes they are like eating sweet bell peppers. They have an amazing very good flavor I have never tasted. 1/2 cup would be good in, salad, sandwich, stew.

Tabasco has good flavor.

Jalapeno is mild hot not much flavor.

Return to “Pepper Forum”