Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Sweet Peppers 30 varieties

I watched a garden TV show where a man was growing about 30 different sweet peppers. He said, they are all sweet and they all have a different flavor. I have 16 varieties picked out to grow I'm not sure they are good choices? Suggestions???

I am going to grow Big Bertha again these are very large & easy to fill the freezer GOOD flavor. I am going to grow long Red Korean sweet peppers they look like 8" long Mexican chilies very sweet but no typically bell pepper flavor. I'm not sure what to think about white color & purple color sweet peppers? I am also growing 1 italy pepper & 1 mexican pepper I can't spell without looking it up.
Attachments
100_3068.JPG
100_3064.JPG
100_3065.JPG
100_3066.JPG
100_3067.JPG
100_3062.JPG
100_3063.JPG
100_3036.JPG
100_3038.JPG
100_3039.JPG
100_3040.JPG
100_3052.JPG
100_3042.JPG
100_3043.JPG
100_3044.JPG
100_3047.JPG
100_3049.JPG
100_3050.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 8 times in total.

imafan26
Mod

I like the Corno d'Toro. I actually am trying a few different bell peppers now. I have not been successful with them. I am trying to grow them now, so I had to look for ones with resistance to bacterial spot, since that is what usually does them in. The bull horn types survive for me and produce more than bell peppers.

The only pepper I have ever had success growing to even get any pepper has been Chinese Giant and that is not resistant to bacterial spot.

I have grown cubanelles, and banana peppers. I do like them. I can't say if they are better than others in taste. They are the survivors. Hot peppers are just easier to grow. I have grown Fushimi Sweet and Shishito. Other people like Shishito better. I just have a hard time growing Shishito to maturity.

applestar
Mod

I have grown the pointy pimento pepper — very thick juicy walls and excellent. I’ve heard good things about the squat, tomato like type (with thick juicy walls) as well though the one I know wasn’t called sweet pimento.

Marconi - both red and yellow/golden - always get favorable reviews, as well the corno di toro varieties. (I thought marconi is a hybrid and corno di toro is heirloom, but I might be mistaken/misremembering at 4:30am….)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I've read that those sweet pepper with Italian names and those with names from the Caribbean are closely related. Okay, some are heirlooms and some hybrids - there has been selection.

Bells have been more difficult for me to grow and seldom mature as well and produce as well. I continue to grow them each year become we like stuffed peppers. The environment is probably suitable in some ways but we are likely about 1000 feet too high in elevation and several hundred miles too far north.

The difference between the non-bell peppers is the thickness of the flesh. Corno di Toro was very productive but fell short in that category. The Jolene tried in 2021 also was somewhat thin walled, despite it being a very good pepper year. Giant Marconi has had consistent very nice peppers but isn't quite as productive as many of the others. Biscayne did well and was a good eating pepper.

Steve

PaulF
Greener Thumb

I have grown all but the Sweet Habanero and the Poblano. For my area your choices will not ripen until very late in my growing season. I need shorter season peppers. Those that did ripen were very good and even green sweet peppers are nice. For some reason the whites and purples do not do well here either. The seeds get started a month earlier and put out two weeks later to help get them going. All my pepper crop is sweet and I really like the non-bells but anything that grows is good.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

PaulF wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:24 pm
I have grown all but the Sweet Habanero and the Poblano. For my area your choices will not ripen until very late in my growing season. I need shorter season peppers. Those that did ripen were very good and even green sweet peppers are nice. For some reason the whites and purples do not do well here either. The seeds get started a month earlier and put out two weeks later to help get them going. All my pepper crop is sweet and I really like the non-bells but anything that grows is good.
I have the same problem with sweet peppers they don't like hot weather so they grow nothing until Oct cooler weather, then we have pepper explosion 45 big sweet bell peppers on every plant. Hot peppers are producing peppers in July but not sweet peppers. I have planted sweet peppers on east side of shade trees, east side of fence, east side of house, so plants get 5 hours of cool early morning sun then full shade 11am until dark sweet pepper do much better. I had a water mister once to keep pepper plants cool all day and had sweet peppers all summer. I have built canvas lean too tents to make plants be in shade 11am to dark that worked too. If I still had all the energy I had when I was younger I would still be doing that stuff. Most sweet peppers claim to be 65 day crop and they probably are if grown some place where it never gets hotter than 79°F all summer. Plants I grew Nov 1st in AZ made great crop of peppers Jan & Feb it was 65° every day all winter.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I always grow California Wonder each year, along with any other miscellaneous peppers I might be curious to try. I have heard that other varieties are sweeter than others, but I don't like my peppers too sweet to the point where they taste fruity or pepper flavored candy. I want a zip to mine. Big Bertha is very good as well.

I grew a pointy pimento-like pepper one time years ago. Can't remember the name of it I'd have to dig and see if I recorded it in my veggie scrapbook....

imafan26
Mod

I have grown Carmen. It is a bull horn type pepper that is an AARS winner. It is very crisp and a good frying pepper. My peppers rarely get as big as they are supposed to my Carmen get to be 3-4 inches long. Hungarian hot wax. cubanelle, and banana peppers are more reliable and productive in the heat.

All these years. I have only been able to get a decent first and usually only set of Peppers around May. Long peppers will last through summer and are more productive. Last year I planted Burpee experimental sweet peppers. They were very old seeds and they were disease resistant. I might have had better production if I had them in larger pots. They were a hybrid, and I did save seeds even though I know most of them are unlikely to come true. But, it might be worthwhile if they keep the good traits.

This year, since it is a warmer winter. I am going to try to grow bell peppers now. My night time temperatures are in the mid 60's but it has dipped to the low sixties once or twice. Mainly, I have to have disease resistance. Bacterial spot and mildew are the biggest problems. Peppers are growing but they are growing very slow in the cold.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Carmen has done well for me, also.

Never has there been a "pepper explosion 45 big sweet bell peppers on every plant." Not half that number.

The shortest hot pepper plants do the best; maybe because they are closest to the ground.

Steve

Return to “Pepper Forum”