Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Cold weather survival of sweet peppers.

What to do with my sweet pepper Plants and fruits? We have an overnight forecast of 3C (abt 37/38F) but we often get a degree or two cooler than predicted. Light frost can't be far away. Some peppers are still green, some beginning to turn. Should I harvest them all now or if I leave them on the plants will they continue to ripen?

I hope to overwinter a few plants, dormant indoors. How much cold will they suffer outside before dying? I want to leave them out as long as possible for the fruit to ripen.

applestar
Mod

Sorry I didn’t see your post until now — this could be close — they really should be protected if they are left in the ground. It’s typical that you are expecting warmer temps after this cold. :roll:

Pepper fruits that are frost damaged will deteriorate and this kind of temperature may trigger dormancy— wilted leaves that won’t recover.

I would consider throwing a garden blanket (or old bedsheet) over them and then plastic.

Individual plants could be protected with a pillow case and a large trash bag over the plant… or large box or trash can, etc.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I didn’t see your post until now. In the past I covered plants up every night with tarps I could keep plants alive until the first hard freeze about 1 month sometimes 2 months. I am too lazy these days to cover plants. I pick all the peppers then slice pepper & put them in the freezer bags they are good to cook with all winter.

Return to “Pepper Forum”