bing
Newly Registered

Please help identify this pepper

The label says sweet cherry but I don't think they are. They have been this big for more than a month now and they remain green. Google is not too helpful so I hope somebody here can help identify this. Thank you.
Attachments
116550113_705156206700823_6732260007193890868_n.jpg
116536087_608205749712093_3788799437133076838_n.jpg
116508905_342556730090126_1003677764101002651_n.jpg

applestar
Mod

The shape and size reminds me of Pimento Yellow Cheese. If so, then the fruits will turn yellow then finish as orange.

I think there are other varieties like that and also ones that turn red.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I learned that if I leave green peppers on the plant it takes 4, 5, 6, 7 weeks for some varieties to turn totally red color on the plants. No matter what the variety if I cut peppers from the plants then take them inside the house they turn red color 2 weeks sooner.

Also once peppers start turning red on the plant some take a whole month to become totally red but peppers allowed to turn red inside the house will turn totally red 1 to 2 weeks sooner.

If you look very close up at green peppers the young peppers are very smooth like glass but some older peppers develop tiny lines on the sides that look like cracks but they are not cracks. These line may already have a name I call them age marks. After peppers on the plants have age marks they will soon start turning different colors, yellow, orange, red, but cut some peppers 2 weeks before age marks take them into the house peppers in the house will turn totally red sooner than peppers on the plants.

In seems to me peppers that turn red inside the house are hotter than peppers that turn red on the plants.

This makes me wonder when saved seeds are mature enough to germinate? Will green peppers that turn red in the house have mature seeds?

I don't recognize your peppers. You might want to cut 1 from the plant take it inside the house see if it starts turning red sooner than peppers on the plants.

bing
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:34 pm
The shape and size reminds me of Pimento Yellow Cheese. If so, then the fruits will turn yellow then finish as orange.

I think there are other varieties like that and also ones that turn red.
Thank you so much for the reply! I've googled Pimento Yellow Cheese and you are right, the shape & size are the same!
Now I'll just have to wait and see if they turn yellow. :)

bing
Newly Registered

Gary350 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:52 pm
I learned that if I leave green peppers on the plant it takes 4, 5, 6, 7 weeks for some varieties to turn totally red color on the plants. No matter what the variety if I cut peppers from the plants then take them inside the house they turn red color 2 weeks sooner.

Also once peppers start turning red on the plant some take a whole month to become totally red but peppers allowed to turn red inside the house will turn totally red 1 to 2 weeks sooner.

If you look very close up at green peppers the young peppers are very smooth like glass but some older peppers develop tiny lines on the sides that look like cracks but they are not cracks. These line may already have a name I call them age marks. After peppers on the plants have age marks they will soon start turning different colors, yellow, orange, red, but cut some peppers 2 weeks before age marks take them into the house peppers in the house will turn totally red sooner than peppers on the plants.

In seems to me peppers that turn red inside the house are hotter than peppers that turn red on the plants.

This makes me wonder when saved seeds are mature enough to germinate? Will green peppers that turn red in the house have mature seeds?

I don't recognize your peppers. You might want to cut 1 from the plant take it inside the house see if it starts turning red sooner than peppers on the plants.
Wow! Thank you so much for the tips! I've learned a lot from your reply :) I'll do your suggestion and cut one fruit and see what colour it changes into. Hoping it's Pimento Yellow Cheese, like what Applestar has mentioned above :)

Not sure what level of fruit maturity could make seeds germinate. Perhaps I'll try to experiment but probably won't know the results until next year (Spring). I really appreciate your reply. Thanks again :)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

bing wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:07 pm
Gary350 wrote:

Wow! Thank you so much for the tips! I've learned a lot from your reply :) I'll do your suggestion and cut one fruit and see what colour it changes into. Hoping it's Pimento Yellow Cheese, like what Applestar has mentioned above :)

Not sure what level of fruit maturity could make seeds germinate. Perhaps I'll try to experiment but probably won't know the results until next year (Spring). I really appreciate your reply. Thanks again :)
I planted Poblano saved pepper seeds 2 days go to see if they germinate. I don't want to save bad seeds all winter to learn next garden season they don't grow. If seeds grow I keep the seeds but if they don't grow I trash the seeds. We have 3 months before first frost if seeds germinate I will let plants grow 3 months to see what happens they might have time to grow a few peppers.

bing
Newly Registered

Just an update. I believe this is Red Ruffled Pimento. A friend on Instagram helped me identify this. Thanks again, everyone! :)
Attachments
117595148_2819368811500385_8352937493056680643_n.jpg

bing
Newly Registered

Gary350 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:33 pm
bing wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:07 pm
Gary350 wrote:

I planted Poblano saved pepper seeds 2 days go to see if they germinate. I don't want to save bad seeds all winter to learn next garden season they don't grow. If seeds grow I keep the seeds but if they don't grow I trash the seeds. We have 3 months before first frost if seeds germinate I will let plants grow 3 months to see what happens they might have time to grow a few peppers.
I hope your Poblano pepper seeds grew! Take care. :)

Return to “Pepper Forum”