Green Jef
Newly Registered

Strange crystalline growth on leaves

Hi all,

I’m new to growing peppers and have a sweet Californian Wonder that has developed a crystal type growth on its leaves.
I have removed the worst as a panic induced precaution. Could it be salt crystals left after transpiration? I use RO water and feed with a half dose 6.0, 7.4, 11.1 ‘Chilli Feed’ fertilizer once a week.
The photos are of the removed leaves and the plant after pruning. The Sundew is there as I have fungus gnats 🤬🤯😭
Any help or advice is appreciated.
Attachments
710E8A34-38A1-404F-ABBC-87505107965C.jpeg
FB77C1F9-4358-4AC7-9EA8-1ACD853A243D.jpeg
610196E3-B3C4-42C0-843B-F44169FB65AC.jpeg
21DCAE6D-C500-4F39-AACE-9DC806E85559.jpeg

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

I have never had this happen with any peppers, but I don't grow them in hydroponics. However, I do grow herbs and greens, and when I get the nutrients up to about medium (18-20), using a conductivity meter, I rarely need to add nutrients - not even once a month, until the plants get huge so I'm wondering if the peppers are over fed, but I'm just guessing. Maybe you can get some help from imafan26, who has had a lot of experience with hydro.

As for fungus gnats, I put some mosquito dunks in my DW setups - just a quarter inch chunk in a 27 gal system, added in the beginning, and every 2 months, and I never see them! For my plants in soil mix, I water them occasionally with a MicrobeLift solution - another Bt israelensis product for preventing mosquitoes, like mosquito dunks, which works for the fungus gnats, as well.

applestar
Mod

I feel like I’ve seen this phenomenon before.... but can’t quite put my finger on it.

Are these structural? Do they rub off at all? What does your fingers feel like (sticky? Powdery?)

The way they cluster along the veins is a clue, I’m sure. But of what I can’t say for sure. The pattern is reminding me of leaf deterioration from overwatering however.....?

Why do you use RO water? That would be no minerals whatsoever — does your fertilizer compensate for this?

Green Jef
Newly Registered

Sorry, it’s not a hydroponic grow just under Led lights indoors. She is in a compost mix in one of those fabric bag pots.
The RO water is mixed with about 25% tap water for trace minerals as the TDS is quite high in my area.
The ‘crystal growths’ feel very odd, kind of moist and crunchy - a bit like fresh snow. It doesn’t really come off when rubbed, it sort of dissolves. Hard to explain!
It grows right next to a Yolo Wonder plant that has the same condition but only a tiny amount on one leaf which has also been removed.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

My mistake - I figured since you used the RO water, and it looked like it is in some hydroponics type basket. Still, I would try lightening up on the fertilizer, and see if that helps.

Green Jef
Newly Registered

Thanks for the replies, I’m thinking the same as you so will lay off the fertilizer for a while.
The RO water is because I keep carnivorous plants and just have it to hand!

Return to “Pepper Forum”