posterguy
Newly Registered

Help - Are my Anaheim/Jalapeno doing okay?

Hello Pepper People,

I am trying to grow hot peppers for the first time, Anaheim and Jalapeño.

I transplanted these guys to my garden on 5/15 and shortly after snipped the tops to promote the bushier growth, which as definitely worked. There are many offshoots on both peppers. My research tells me I should anticipate flowering in the next 2-3 weeks, but I am curious because some of the leaves that have sprouted are tiny, curly little leaves that almost look the shape of little peppers themselves.

They seem to come in bunches, but I am not sure if they're a good thing or not. Here's a couple pics: https://imgur.com/a/T8Cbm8y

If anybody has seen this, please let me know if they're okay. If not, is there anything I can do? Otherwise I will just have to wait it out and hope for the best.

Thanks in advance!

kayjay
Green Thumb

Hi. I'm not sure what's causing the leaf curl, but I think I see leaf miners in there, too. I don't think they cause lethal damage to the plant, but it's probably a stress.

I think you might want to revisit the pruning strategy. I haven't really looked into it, though I might try it as an experiment next year... but I'm not sure it's a good idea after the plants have already gone out, or if they don't NEED pruning. I guess I'd do it if I purchased seedlings and they looked too leggy, but I would do it several days before they go out to give them some time to heal and get over any shock. I start my own seeds and they look bushy enough for me, so I don't bother (yet?)

Big turn-off on the pruning for me is the possible delay of getting peppers. I didn't put mine out until two weeks after you, and I already have edible jalapenos. Again, though, I haven't experimented with this and maybe someone with more experience can chime in...

Best of luck! I hope they bounce back for you.

TNCatHerder

I do the pepper pruning thing. I was a skeptic for years as I didn't want to cut off huge portions of my plants. I finally tried it when I had multiples, pruned half of each type. The pruned peppers were much stockier by the end of the season. Almost like small trees. They were also bushier providing more sun protection for the fruit. I found a youtube video probably 10 years ago that detailed it. Once the plant has 2 sets of true leaves you cut off the top set. The remaining top 2 leaves become branches as a Y. You repeat the process as the plant continues to grow. I wish you could do it with tomatoes, you wouldn't have to stake them.

posterguy
Newly Registered

Thanks for your answers. I got a relatively cheap moisture reader to check and see if that needed adjusted, and wouldn't you know it one says it's slightly moist while one says it's a little dry, so that didn't necessarily help me much.

I don't think we're suppose to get much rain this week, so I was thinking of putting in fertilizer this morning and giving both a good hefty drink and letting them go for the week and seeing how it goes. I suppose I don't have much for options at this point, but was hoping somebody would have some direction for me!

Return to “Pepper Forum”